Turbo replacement, new vs recon?

Ambroid

Hi All

Need a new turbo for my 55 plate 2.0 TDi. Tempted to go with reconditioned as its half the price of a new one. Anyone fitted a reconditioned unit on here? Is it a matter of you get what you pay for or are they worth a shot? If so, does anyone know a reputable seller? New is obviously better and if i go down this route where is a good place to get a new one from? Not going OE as they are stupidly priced!!

Cheers

Hi Kev, as a family we have always gone for new rather than recon. My a6 last had a genuine Audi turbo at 75k. It's now in 328k with that same turbo (2.5tdi). Also my sister's 2001 1.9tdi gold has just had a a replacement turbo at 90k which cost approx £900. But we felt it was worth it as our philosophy is better the devil.yiu know than the One you don't. 

Sorry I can't really answer your question about recon turbos. Just thought I'd mention my experience of new turbos.

Cheers

Steve 

Hi Kev

I had a refurbished Turbo fitted to my 55 reg  A3 2.0 TDI 140.

It started to whine so I took it to Brookspeed http://www.brookspeed.com.

As I was due to go on a driving holiday to the south of France I decided to get it replaced.

It took about a week to take it out and send it away  and get it back and fitted,  I drove down to the south of France the following weekend without a missing  a beat.

The car actually performed alot better as well.

Graham

Peace of mind versus money in wallet.

I do between 40-50k a year in my VW transporter 2.5 TDI. At 120k It needed a new turbo. I recall about £650 for a new one versus £300 (plus £100 back on return of the old unit) for a recon from 'Biturbocar'. Because I can do most things myself I fitted this and overhauled the exhaust and induction system parts at the same time. The van is now on 163k and it has not missed a beat......... so far.

However, the general consensus is that it's the luck of the draw on how good a refurb unit will be in terms of longevity. So my only advice is go for a recon with at least a 1yr guarantee but try to get one with a 2 year cover if you can. Or if in any doubt go new for peace of mind.

Thanks for the replies, I've decided to go for a new turbo, but not OE as this was a very expensive option. I'm having the cam belt done at the same time so hopefully should have a good car for a good few miles :-) 

• 2 weeks later...

Had the turbo replaced and the timing belt done this week . Got a new turbo, not recon and she goes like a dream. Timing belt, water pump and aux belt done, antifreeze. came to £1273 total. The car is a Quattro, so the turbo is a bit more of a pain in the butt. Only charged 5 hours labour for it. Got it book;ed in for a service now..

Great news that you have got it done Kev.

When my turbo was replaced it was a big difference to the way the car drove.

Having everything done at the same time is also a cost saving as they are already working on the car.

Once the service is complete the car will be good for many years.