Audi A3 8P Single Din to Double Din

Hey all, 

Currently I have the single din radio installed in my car and was wondering if I could modify/swap any parts so I can install an aftermarket Android headunit?

Is it just a case of buying all the pieces from a factory double din car? or is there wiring issues etc etc?

Cheers

Matt

23 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Have you considered installing an aftermarket unit....much more superior functions and all adapters should be available?

Yes mate that's my plan. Only bit I'm confused about is how? 

Would I need to get the climate control unit from a factory double din car and just install that with a double din fascia and cage? 

Or is it a case of changing the whole dash? Etc 

From what I recall you need to remove the tray under the climate control unit , then trim the sides of the climate control unit so it will fit into the space left by the tray, then you can fit the double din cage and relevant mounting kit.

2 hours ago, gokiwi64 said:

From what I recall you need to remove the tray under the climate control unit , then trim the sides of the climate control unit so it will fit into the space left by the tray, then you can fit the double din cage and relevant mounting kit.

Hmm sounds like it should work. Would need to get the double din fascia to check how far down I need to move the controls. Or is just as far down as it will go enough? 

Cheers

Okay I think I've worked it out. 

I need an Audi double din cage which will allow me to fit the cage that comes with the head unit and it also provides a mounting and location for the climate control unit. 

I can either find a climate control that came out of a factory double din car so it will just slot in no worries. Or save some money and use my existing unit and trim it to fit. Something like 5-7mm of the sides.

Just need to find out if the hazard switch and ESP will be in the same place. If not then need to work out if I need new ones from a DD car.