Hello whats up ?

Lightsout79

53 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum James :) 

You'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

Congrats on getting an a2 :) what needs doing on it? 

Cheers

Steve 

Hi Steve

Well I have not actually seen it yet other than the photos but its worth a punt at 100 pound cash.

The mot expired in June so its been laid up for a bit ,

I am hoping there is no welding required that would be the best result to start with , but I would imagine its going need a complete brake overhaul possibly some brake pipes, the exhaust is knackered apparently , and the battery is completely flat, tyres ? Suspension components ?

A2 Pic 1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Hi Jane's there shouldn't be any form of rust as I believe the a2 is made of alluminium/galvanised it's more mechanical or electronic issues you need to worry about to be honest 

Ok so is the chassis Aluminium/Galvy including subframe etc ?

Do these A2s have a history of electrical problems ?

I think mechanically the engine is sound , its done 138,000 which isn't much for a diesel with regular servicing.

Chassis definitely is as it's a monocoque.

As long as it's got good service history then it should be fine mechanically :) 

heres a YouTube video on the a2. Hope it's useful :) 

cheers

Steve 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lightsout79 said:

Wow great vid !

Its safe to say the A2 is very much the relative of the Audi family that's not talked about much :)

Your welcome :) 

Deffo! It was way ahead of it's time and helped with the future blueprint of Audi 

It does make you wonder why it didn't sell or did it sell and they just couldn't make the finance numbers work with build costs ?

I remember thinking of buying one years ago just for the MPG figures for the diesel but at that time you were looking at between 5-9K depending on build year.

Be interesting to how many they sold and how many are left ?

I think the problem is you can't appreciate a futuristic car untill it's old. I say this because I think when it came out people would also be suspicious of new unknown stuff if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lightsout79 said:

Be a great model to use as an all electric , not that I am pro electric but that lightweight chassis would be perfect , maybe Audi should re-visit the A2 with this in mind.

I've always wondered if they would bring out a new a2 but it would have to impress the current versions strong following of enthusiasts! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightsout79 said:

I am now the proud owner of a 2001 Audi A2 ;) , going to start a thread in the A2 club.

Congrats James :) 

I'll look forward to following the thread :) 

Cheers

Steve