Audi's latest direction indicators.

I recently followed an A3 fitted with what I believe to be the latest generation of indicators which flash from the inboard to the outboard lamp. Well done Audi - what a clear signal - which I think will remain clear in all lighting conditions. First class. 

Now all Audi needs to do is to come up with a system which ensures they are actually used!

There seems to be this macho driven idea that actually using direction indicators to inform other road users of their intentions is a sign of weakness, and must make the driver feel inferior if they do!

I notice this unfortunate affliction also affects their ability to switch on their lights when dusk approaches, and leads them to gamble on how long they can leave them out before someone runs up their backside. It seems this affliction particularly affects drivers of black or dark coloured cars - bless them - it must be hard to live with! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I think you have a point there Gareth but unfortunately it is so commonplace nowadays it seems like sometimes you're the only one out there indicating.

The only other good addition to modern cars is the directional driving lights/day running lights which come on when someone is turning in a particular direction...maybe they will take the place of indicators :-)

The thing that I'm curious about is how Audi have managed to get these passed. I though indicators had to blink in a certain pattern with X number of seconds gap between each blink? By definition the Audi indicators don't actually blink but are more like a strobe light which I though on cars was illegal? Hope I've made sense! 

You have a good point Trevor the fog lights do illuminate when the vehicle turns which has been useful when people don't both to use their indicators! 

• Like 1

Good point Steve about the definition of (flashing) indicators. Perhaps it works on the principle that each light is illuminated then switches off and then repeats the cycle of being illuminated. I.e. Each light does have a flashing period.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Good point Steve about the definition of (flashing) indicators. Perhaps it works on the principle that each light is illuminated then switches off and then repeats the cycle of being illuminated. I.e. Each light does have a flashing period.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Good point there Gareth and to be honest I'm unsure. 🤔

Had a Ford Thunderbird in for MOT many decades ago and it flagged up on the sequential indicators that used to run across the rear of the car....but they were illuminating in red rather than amber but don't recall that being so much of an issue then.

4 hours ago, Trevor said:

Had a Ford Thunderbird in for MOT many decades ago and it flagged up on the sequential indicators that used to run across the rear of the car....but they were illuminating in red rather than amber but don't recall that being so much of an issue then.

Fair enough! And i though it was a new invention lol 

• Like 1