New first time Audi owner

Shaggy33

Ex BMW E36 owner now a budget Audi buyer! Just bought a 2.4 auto 1999 A4 Avant, I know the auto is not that desirable nor is the 2.4 (I believe the 2.6 is more power for similar mpg) but the car is immaculate with full ash incl new gearbox...

look out for silly questions from me on general maintenance etc 

Welcome to the forum Chris, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

Feel free to post a pic of your a4. I do prefer the older Audi's to be honest :) 

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Collected car today, 105 miles without incident! Two initial observations, 1 the concert stereo display and dash display a slightly pixilated (some parts missing) will need to sort that as that type of thing bugs me. Secondly at speed there is a air whistle from drivers doors which I put down to possible door rubbers becoming brittle?

Other than that chuffed to bits, feels very tight brakes good gearbox smooth (should be as it was changed for a brand new one at 80k)

B5.jpg

Welcome to the forums:yahoo:

Nice friendly atmosphere here with plenty of Audi owners to help where they can.

Please be sure to give the forum rules a quick view

Paul

50 minutes ago, Shaggy33 said:

Collected car today, 105 miles without incident! Two initial observations, 1 the concert stereo display and dash display a slightly pixilated (some parts missing) will need to sort that as that type of thing bugs me. Secondly at speed there is a air whistle from drivers doors which I put down to possible door rubbers becoming brittle?

Other than that chuffed to bits, feels very tight brakes good gearbox smooth (should be as it was changed for a brand new one at 80k)

B5.jpg

Glad your pleased Chris :) your a4 looks in great condition :) 

I think you'll have to replace to radio to get rid of the pixlation. If you do replace it with another Audi radio then you'll need the radio code. 

The whistle could be the door rubbers as you've pointed out. However when I had a similar issue on my a6 it was due to the door hinges failing and causing the door to drop. I'm assuming the door closes smoothly? 

Cheers

Steve

hi steve

i thought as much re stereo, i may just fit a single din unit with ipod and dab....assume b5 fascias are available for aftermarket stereo upgrades.

its funny you should say that about the doors. you know when you open a door from the inside you get that distinct double action, on slight pull of handle and the door opens to first catch and then pull lever fully and door opens wide. well when i oil the inside lever ever so slightly the door just opens, as if there’s no middle half open setting. it might nothing to do with it but wonder if that’s a sign of door sag?...is it fixable easily enough?

Yep, the facias are easy to buy :) 

Hmm I do wonder if the doors are sagging. I had to have both door hinges replaced. Ill have to go through the service history to find out how much I paid to have e this done. Just out of curiosity is it the front drivers door or front passenger door which is mainly at fault? 

I have to say in the defense of the door rubbers, I have found them quite robust and have never changed mine. 

Cheers

Steve

Drivers side is the one I can hear. Not sure about passenger side, will need to get someone to come for a ride and lend an ear.

did you get main dealer to replace hinges? Sounds expensive 

Bizarrely it was my front passenger side that had to be replaced. Too many passengers slamming the door! 

No I didn't go to the main dealer. My local garage carried out the work. I have a feeling it was around £300. When I've managed to dig out the service history folder I'll let you know exactly :) 

Cheers

Steve

Right, I've gone through my service history. I had both front passenger side hinges replaced in May 2017. 

Part cost:

Upper hinge £13.98

Lower hinge £71.06 

I can't really give you an exact price for labour as I had a brake fluid change at the same time. But I'd guess around £100. I'd also expect the hinges to cost roughly the same too.

So by my reconning it'll be around £200 to replace the door hinges. This work was done at a local garage NOT Audi. 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve