Can rear tyres cause tram-lining in a Quattro?

Rob W

I replaced Michelin Pilot Sport 3 with Goodyear Asymmetric 3's on the rear of my A5 Quattro and it has started tram-lining.  The wheel alignment was done at the same time. 

Previously, Michelins (not sure of the type) on the front had caused tram-lining and Asymmetric 2's solved it.  The Asymmetric 1 and 2's were brilliant on my earlier A4 and on the front of the A5, but the Asymmetric 3's  have quite large blocks of tread compared to the Pilot Sport 3's and I wonder if this is causing the issue.

Any suggestions to minimise the tram-lining much appreciated!

Hi Rob it definitely sounds like it's the new tyres that have caused the tramlining and surely the only way to solve it is by replacing the tyres. You could see if higher Tyre pressures help but truthfully I'm just guessing. 

Sorry I can't help more 

Cheers

Steve 

Did you get the report for your alignment adjustment?

Would expect some change in behaviour from budget tyres but not from premium tyres. 

I am no tyre fitter but have burnt through a fair few sets and my first thought would be that the alignment is out (possibly set for FWD not 4WD)

Hello Rob,

Unfortunately I cannot agree with Steve's normally sound logic on this occasion when it is suggested it must be the tyres. 

Hindsight ....... as they say......, but you have changed two things here at the same time, tyres and wheel alignment set up, so the sudden cause of your tram lining could be due to either (or both). My book may be considered old fashioned, but I always try to change one thing at a time, and test that change before moving on to stage two change. For example, in these days of fault codes being king, the existence of two codes usually tempts the technician to change the two listed components and then he doesn't have a clue as which component was at fault, and it was quite likely that two codes showed up on a 'cause and effect ' logic. i.e one component affects the other, but the other may not actually be at fault.

Anyway Rob, apologies for continuing my pessimistic response on this, wheel alignment equipment is now state of the art and capable of measuring minute out-of -alignment. Problem is, it's always down to the 'technician's' ability to interpret the data and more importantly know exactly what he is doing when he adjusts something.

So, is the wheel alignment now set incorrectly?? Answer - we don't really know - so you need to get this independently checked by someone who comes with a recommendation, and that recommendation may come from say a local Audi independent. Worth an ask.

Yes, could be the tyres. Is it possible to swop fronts and backs on these? If so, that would be worth a try. Daft question perhaps, but have you checked that the direction of rotation is correct? Yes, I know they should know and check that they have the correctly tyred wheel on the right side (and they probably have) but worth having a check yourself.

Goid luck with it Rob,

Kind regards,

Gareth.