A6 Not Starting

Welcome to the forum Dave, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

In light of the age of your a6 I would get the battery tested (halfords can do this) as it might be on it's way out. The usual life of a battery is 7-10 years. And once the cold weather sets in this kills the battery. 

In failing that, when was the a6 last serviced? 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Davey, 

Manual or electric handbrake? Whichever, it seems to be affected by the -6C 

I had a sort of similar problem with our 1.6 A3 this morning, with the handbrake frozen on (silly me forgot I had a similar problem last year during a brief sub zero day and forget to leave it off last night) 

This car started but strangely cut out at the bottom of the lane and was reluctant to restart with the ESP light etc on. Did  eventually, and got it  back home and have it parked with the (manual) handbrake off. Still frozen on with our Red alert in these parts! 

If the engine is turning over strongly as you say, then it sounds as if the battery is serviceable. 

Let us know on the handbrake, and if manual it's worth leaving the leaver released.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

5 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum Dave, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

In light of the age of your a6 I would get the battery tested (halfords can do this) as it might be on it's way out. The usual life of a battery is 7-10 years. And once the cold weather sets in this kills the battery. 

In failing that, when was the a6 last serviced? 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for getting back to me Steve. The car was turning over strongly but not attempting to start.

It was last serviced in roughly three months ago.  I have the car nearly three years now and have never changed the battery. 

4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Davey, 

Manual or electric handbrake? Whichever, it seems to be affected by the -6C 

I had a sort of similar problem with our 1.6 A3 this morning, with the handbrake frozen on (silly me forgot I had a similar problem last year during a brief sub zero day and forget to leave it off last night) 

This car started but strangely cut out at the bottom of the lane and was reluctant to restart with the ESP light etc on. Did  eventually, and got it  back home and have it parked with the (manual) handbrake off. Still frozen on with our Red alert in these parts! 

If the engine is turning over strongly as you say, then it sounds as if the battery is serviceable. 

Let us know on the handbrake, and if manual it's worth leaving the leaver released.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth 

My handbrake is electronic. 

Sincere apologies Davy,

Many thanks. Is it fair to believe the issue has been resolved as the outside temperature has risen! 

If not, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hmm - petrol or diesel? 

Glow Plugs or Glow Plug relay - if its cranking well then you have to be looking at initial fuel delivery or cold start assistance. 

Hand brake light could be a red herring 

2 hours ago, Envy said:

Hand brake light could be a red herring 

my hand brake is a bugger to disengage manually,i maybe doing something wrong but works fine when i move forward or backwards disengages itself

Is it that temperamental putting it on too?  Does not sound like it's the axle end if it disengages normally when required by motion. 

Could the switch be failing. 10 years of operation and where it is, it is subject to the usual grime build up over time -(not saying you don't keep your car clean). Electric window switches suffer the same over time.