Slight crunch type noise from gearbox

Stuboy00

I picked my 2015 rs4 from audi on Friday had a run in it on the Saturday and heard a slight crunch going into and out of 4th can anybody shed some light on this? It's booked back in a week on Thursday, has a year's warranty and audi were notified less that 24hrs of ownership

1 hour ago, Stuboy00 said:

It's auto S tronic

I thought it would be. On the a6 c7 there have been reports of the car not engaging certain gears but namely reverse. One of the believed causes is old gearbox oil and in most cases after the oil has been changed the gearbox has been fine. 

Thankfully you have audi warranty so they should fix this ok. But it still.might be worth you checking to see if and when the gear box oil has been changed. 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, the oil hasn't been changed, audi have stipulated that it must however be done on 38k I hope that this is the case and there isn't a further underlying problem as this was a gift from my wife for my 40th and it is my dream car

6 hours ago, Stuboy00 said:

Thanks Steve, the oil hasn't been changed, audi have stipulated that it must however be done on 38k I hope that this is the case and there isn't a further underlying problem as this was a gift from my wife for my 40th and it is my dream car

You're welcome, hope I've helped :) 

What mileage is the rs4 on now? 

It's certainly a lovely 40th birthday present :)

Cheers

Steve

Glad I have :) 

29k is 10k off Audi's recommend oil change interval. So it'll be interesting to see what they say. 

It's many moons ago now (over ten years in fact!) But I remember the original audi TT had an issue with the dsg box (sister box is to s tronic) whereby a metal fork would break inside the box resulting in certain gears not being able to be selected. This was also highlightsed on wheeler dealers Audi  TT episode. Also the TT was one of the first, if not the first vag car to have the dsg gearbox but obviously the dsg/s tronic box has been improved in that time. 

Cheers

Steve

Hi.

Might the said oil need changing after a certain time or mileage whichever is soonest? Just a thought....

very nice birthday present though 👍

Ok so cars going into main dealer on Thursday, noise is getting slightly worse (especially with the window open) and now not only isolated to 4th gear but also when not changing gear, still no trouble selecting any of the gears manually or in auto box

Ok so audi got back to me on Thursday afternoon, mechanic has heard the noise and agrees there is a problem with the gearbox, replacement box to be fitted and audi are footing the bill happy days

Hello Stuart,

Can we take it Audi are still going to replace the gearbox, irrespective of the outcome of tests on the oil? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the really late update on this, 4th synchro was completely gone, audi replaced said gearbox with a new item it took them 6weeks to do so trying to decide who was footing the 12k bill, car is back with a new box (2year warranty) and as a good will gesture I received 2years full warranty on the car, a years service and 3 tanks of fuel not a bad outcome 

received_348945305650425.jpeg