Fvh gearbox

Billdabike

I have a 2005 facelift a3 l.6 5 speed petrol...all the gears worked perfectly except for 1st which felt like a bar was in front of it ie no gear. I am more of a fitter than a mechanic...discovered 1st mashed. Removed box...fitted another which is wrong a mechanic said it would fit etc...evh/euh?...my box is FVH...i cant find another...could anyone say which other code boxes might fit or from exact year model cars...is there possibly a list of gearboxes and their compatibility with engines etc? 

• 5 months later...

Hi this is a bit random...ive only just found your reply...i managed to get get gearbox 'fixed' wasn't sure what a CVT means. I think the repair was not done well or I did something wrong refitting it...box was changing well except 5th hard to get in without a wirring sound and would pop out if speed dropped when I did get it in. Thought oh well i can live without 5th gear. Since then im hearing a grinding when pulling off in first and i can hear a whirring in 1st to 4th. Reverse and the 4 gears change smoothly though occasionally it can be a bit notchy getting into first at the lights etc. Its that bad ive stopped driving it and only got it on the road 3 weeks ago. Im guessing its the gearbox naffed already...i know the lower engine/gearbox mount is very slightly bent or could it be the linkage? Noise goes away when clutch pedal is depressed. Sorry to waffle on just gutted taken nearly a year to get on road and now its back off it again after only 3 weeks...and i really dont know how to sort it. Any way thanks for reading