Humming noise from dash

Envy

Over the last couple of days I have noticed a buzzing / humming noise coming from the middle of the dashboard. 

Present when the car is running and not, MMI on or off and Climate control on or off.... ignition on or off- 

Anyone else experienced this. Best way to describe noise is like a cheap PC hard drive spinning - could be MMI hard drive but would be nice to nail this down before chasing warranty claim with Audi

Can't say for sure but in my previous 5 series after a long hot journey then I could hear the fan coming from the media player/hdd, never got round to cleaning it out.

Update: If there was a prize I think it should go to sshooie - got home last night, parked up and shut down everything. The noise is a fan and its coming from the MMI. Like an old PC fan. Decided to apply a little percussive treatment to the area and the noise reduced to a hum so it is either something getting picked up in the fan or a fan bearing letting go.

I did lose a SIM card through the SIM slot once - hope it's not that fouling the fan - will try and get unit out and check before chasing  Audi with a claim... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Envy said:

Update: If there was a prize I think it should go to sshooie - got home last night, parked up and shut down everything. The noise is a fan and its coming from the MMI. Like an old PC fan. Decided to apply a little percussive treatment to the area and the noise reduced to a hum so it is either something getting picked up in the fan or a fan bearing letting go.

I did lose a SIM card through the SIM slot once - hope it's not that fouling the fan - will try and get unit out and check before chasing  Audi with a claim... 

Glad you got to the bottom of this Tom 🙂 lets hope there isn't anything serious with the fan.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 months later...

Update: So I have solved the problem. I was wrong (not for the first time many would say) in thinking it was a Fan.

So the noise was audible when I entered the car without ignition on  and also when it was on. It is rare with the Solid State media such as SD Card and USB Drive that I had a disk in the MMi optical drive but my Son had inserted a DVD Movie a while back. The noise I was hearing was the DVD spinning up when I was entering the car and hesne why a knock in the right area stopped the resonation. I still wonder why the disk would spin up without the ignition on but I guess unlocking the car and a door opening is enough reason for some. 

Anyhow - job done for now - time to put the paranoia back in the box until next time...