Cambelt change

otto

Hi group, my partner recently purchased an Audi A3 sport 1968cc diesel, 2012 with no service history, it has done 63k, is there any way to check if the cambelt has been replaced before parting with a chunk of cash.

Any advice really appreciated, Otto in sunny Cumbria

Markings on cover, and someone mentioned the sticker under the spare wheel describes enigine type.

The current belt is stamped "VW AG ROCG4 04L 260849C EPAM CONTITE"

TIA

20190217_161823_resized.thumb.jpg.10ce06530009c329ca541d1aafb03026.jpg20190217_160954_resized.thumb.jpg.5a63db0f89a93978d744594db6ff7e94.jpg20190213_211424_resized.thumb.jpg.aa8e574086c0a31d5a68ba25e7334355.jpg

Welcome to the forum Denis, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

i believe the belt should be changed at 5 years/120k. What service history came with the car? If it's  full Audi history then you're in luck as they'll have all the history documented electronically. 

cheers

Steve

Hello Dennis,

A couple of possible avenues where no known service history exists:- 

Apologies if you have tried some/all.

Wander into your local dealers (I’ve found Parts Dept to be the best first port of call). You need to be armed with the VIN incase the registration number has changed (say by cherished number change). There might just be some traceable history in the ‘main’ system.I would take your V5 with you and a good proof of identity, so that you can ask for a copy of what they have. 

Check where the car was first registered. You can Google the prefix to find the region - let me know if you fail. Check with Audi dealers in that area.

Last keeper details? Still recorded on V5? Contact them and enquire about servicing records. 

The car must have been serviced at some time, particularly within the warranty period. 

If all of this fails, then I would think you cannot take a chance on not doing it. If you do go down this road, then the ‘quality’ of the parts used is more important that low quotes. I would only use a genuine VAG water pump for example - no exceptions.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Dennis.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Sorin and Otto,

Otto - Not sure if you managed to sort out any evidence of an earlier belt change, or if not, if you are going to get it changed. 

Hello Sorin,

Of course, all opinions represent a personal viewpoint, and fair enough, you may disagree with your local dealer’s advice, and believe you can significantly extend the recommended mileage change point. You could be right, and yes, people gamble, and in this case, you gamble a wrecked engine, but.... 

I take it your dealer would also have stated....’ 60K miles or (say) 5 years - whichever come first’ Time intervals are also important, particularly in the context of low mileage vehicles which have been subjected to regular stop/start short runs. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.