2018 Audi Q7 Gearbox issue/Hesitation

Beacon123

Hi all, I am having the exact same issues with my Q7, all I keep getting told is that a software update will become available, I am not prepared to wait anymore and wanted the car rejected, Audi uk/finance company and the dealer have done nothing.  I’ve been told the same that it’s a characteristic of the car. It’s absolute nonsense... I have raised a complaint with the motor ombudsman and I urge all of you to do the same, I want my money back on a product that is not fit for purpose and dangerous.. their number is 03001239123, they seemed pretty shocked that Audi are saying there is not a fault with the car yet they are working on a fix for a problem, it makes no sense

Hello Simon,

Good for you.

However, on a rather pessimistic note, I recently had to call upon the services of the Energy Ombudsman. OK, the service is straightforward to use, but as I understand (correct?) the service is financially supported by contributions from the major energy suppliers! In my case, I came off little/no better off than if I had not bothered. 

Motor Ombudsman?? 

I hope you have better luck.

Perhaps you could let us know. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi, 

Yes the motor ombudsman it deals solely with cars.  I’m getting nowhere with Audi and think it is atrocious they are treating customers like this, they are fully aware of the issues and are still selling the Q7 without telling us, it’s shocking and they owe me my money back as far as I’m concerned. https://www.themotorombudsman.org/ Log a complaint with them, the more of us that do it will surely only benefit us.

Hi all, I’m new to Audi and new to this forum. I picked up a Dec 2018 Q7 3.0TDi 50 about a month ago and am having exactly the same intermittent issues - juddering at low speeds and lack of power when pulling away. 

My car is currently at my local Audi dealer for diagnosis. Based on the experience of others in this thread I am not hopeful that they will find and/or admit to anything, but it will be interesting to see what they have to say...

Hey guys quick update on my car it should I say a wasted year of my life chasing round in circles.

Today audi who may I add I have to call chase them up have said their doing no more even though I have substantial evidence from the dealership their is clearly an issue.

Now it's time to take this to the next level anyone having issues they wont be solved as Audi dont know how to fix it and refuse to admit there is a problem and call this forum bish Bosh (more like hes talking pish pish.

In now taking it to the financial and motor ombusman. Also watchdog will have an email as well. Anyone had their car successfully rejected for these issues ?

Hello Dawn, 

I admire your persistence. As previously suggested, I would have sought professional legal advice some time ago. First step - Ombudsman and Watchdog? Um?

Of course, you will appreciate that you will still be operating ‘on your own’.  

Why not CAB as the starting point? I’m sure they will offer you sound advice and guidance/assistance in moving forward, and will have far more clout than your in-isolation approach. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I have contacted cab and they advised me to write a letter to the dealership but I got nowhere with that so not sure what to do I do have sufficient evidence to prove the problem 

Although I applaud your intention to go it alone on this Dawn, my pessimistic head points me to think that the opposition may be just too much for an individual to take on. 

Appreciating that legal representation is expensive, but so was entering into buying the car in the first place, and to get out of it will I’m sure, need legal expertise. If you have legal cover with your car insurance then it might well be worth trying there first. Alternatives might be via. trade unions etc. or possibly no-win-no-fee representation. 

Ombudsman referrals may be considered to be fine, but judging by my recent success with an energy issue, I would not be putting too much faith in that route! 

I genuinely wish you good luck with whatever you decide, and again, many thanks for keeping the forum updated. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 2/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, Simon b said:

Hi all, I am having the exact same issues with my Q7, all I keep getting told is that a software update will become available, I am not prepared to wait anymore and wanted the car rejected, Audi uk/finance company and the dealer have done nothing.  I’ve been told the same that it’s a characteristic of the car. It’s absolute nonsense... I have raised a complaint with the motor ombudsman and I urge all of you to do the same, I want my money back on a product that is not fit for purpose and dangerous.. their number is 03001239123, they seemed pretty shocked that Audi are saying there is not a fault with the car yet they are working on a fix for a problem, it makes no sense

Hi simon did you get your car rejected 

Hi, As of yet no I still have the car. Apparently there is a software update available in May.  I’m don’t hold much hope that it will fix all the issues. I am still requesting a rejection on the car but getting myself a solicitor.

Regards

• Like 1

Even when they have the software update how confident do you feel driving. So far its cut out on me twice 

Audi uk are a joke and so are the dealerships to be honest. If this doesn't get dealt with soon someone is going to have an accident and it will be on their heads. I have now issued the finance with a letter for to take the matter further and if need be court action.

Def speak to your finance (mines is vw) but dont hold your hopes up I wasted 3 months of my time and I was always calling  them. Once you go through the process with them its then onto the financial ombusman to take it further.

Feel free to message me if you want 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, Beacon123 said:

Hi

Anyone else had any problems with a 2018/19 audi q7 3.0tdi with the 48v hybrid system with gearbox/hesitation issues which results in loss of power ??

Automatic gearbox or manual gearbox?

I've had my car back for about a week following a software update, which Audi admitted up front may help with the juddering, but won't fully fix the hesitation when pulling away. They told me the July software update, that others have mentioned here, should fix all of the problems...

I have to say, the juddering is slightly less severe, but now seems to happen more often. The hesitation is still there. There are also some new issues that have been introduced.

Since the update the car now sounds like it idles at a much higher speed, although the rev counter doesn't show this. It also feels like it has lost some power (when the power is finally delivered). Additionally, when the engine auto-stop kicks in the whole car now shakes, whereas before you couldn't even tell the engine had cut out.

Audi say they can take another look, but they don't think they can do anything and, because there is a fix/software update planned, they say any additional investigation/work may not be covered by the warranty.

In a nutshell - we know your car isn't working as it should, we know we have just made it worse with a software update, but we can't do anything about it and you're stuck with it until we try another software update in at least 4 months time.

I'm starting to regret my switch to Audi now...I think a quick chat with Citizens' Advice may be in order just in case this mythical July update doesn't work.

44 minutes ago, SpongySpyman said:

I've had my car back for about a week following a software update, which Audi admitted up front may help with the juddering, but won't fully fix the hesitation when pulling away. They told me the July software update, that others have mentioned here, should fix all of the problems...

I have to say, the juddering is slightly less severe, but now seems to happen more often. The hesitation is still there. There are also some new issues that have been introduced.

Since the update the car now sounds like it idles at a much higher speed, although the rev counter doesn't show this. It also feels like it has lost some power (when the power is finally delivered). Additionally, when the engine auto-stop kicks in the whole car now shakes, whereas before you couldn't even tell the engine had cut out.

Audi say they can take another look, but they don't think they can do anything and, because there is a fix/software update planned, they say any additional investigation/work may not be covered by the warranty.

In a nutshell - we know your car isn't working as it should, we know we have just made it worse with a software update, but we can't do anything about it and you're stuck with it until we try another software update in at least 4 months time.

I'm starting to regret my switch to Audi now...I think a quick chat with Citizens' Advice may be in order just in case this mythical July update doesn't work.

That's sounds oh so familiar 😔 when braking does your car stutter until it finally brakes? Lack of power, car has sounded like its cut out on new whilst going down hill and cut out at a roundabout no warning light nothing.

Since my car has had all available software updates audi uk are not willing to do anything about it.  I contacted citizens advice and I'm now in the process of sending them one final letter before it goes further. They know the problems are there and not willing to do a thing about it as it will cost them financially. Legally they have only so many attempts to fix the same problem as it's clearly not fit for purpose and dangerous.

These comments by all you guys have been quoted by vw finance as bish Bosh seruously!!! 

The dealership, audi uk and finance arent interested we shall see when I send this letter is sent if they will take notice of it.

I wonder if we should all join forces on this, we are all being treated incredibly badly and we're all being told the same thing about the issues with this model.  I feel that all in Audi are well versed in what they are telling people in order that they don't have to shell out thousands.... the reality is we've all shelled out thousands and we're left with a product that is not fit for purpose.  Surely they are breaking the law? could we all use the same legal representative? something has to be done as my frustration is turning to anger...

• Like 1

Exactly it would interesting to start this as I'm feeling so angry as I'm 100% certain like you say dont want to sell out thousands 

Best way to get in contact with citizens advice. I'm in Scotland so what would be the best way to go forward and how many ppl would be willing to do the same 

• 1 month later...

Have had exactly the same problems with my Q7 50 TDI from new. Took me a year to get Audi to admit there was a problem then they said they would be in touch when a software update became available. This was over 6 months ago and I'm now half way through a 3 year lease and the car is driving me crazy.

In the meantime, my car got recalled for an urgent steering issue so when Audi collected the car I gave them both keys and told them I didn't want it back until these issues were fixed. They are now telling me that they have done a gearbox software update but to completely fix the issue I would need to wait another month until the engine update was available. 

After reading these posts, it seems that the gearbox update does not go anywhere near fixing the issues and that the engine update is way more than a month away so I told them to keep hold of the car until the engine update was available and in the meantime I would stop my monthly direct debit. Their response was that in their opinion, the car is drive-able therefore I should take it back and carry on waiting. If I refuse to take the car back they are going to charge me for storing the car at the Audi dealership.

The car is still at the dealership, I've cancelled my direct debit and have put in official compliant to Audi finance who are yet got back to me.

I will keep you posted.

13 hours ago, Graystoke said:

Have had exactly the same problems with my Q7 50 TDI from new. Took me a year to get Audi to admit there was a problem then they said they would be in touch when a software update became available. This was over 6 months ago and I'm now half way through a 3 year lease and the car is driving me crazy.

In the meantime, my car got recalled for an urgent steering issue so when Audi collected the car I gave them both keys and told them I didn't want it back until these issues were fixed. They are now telling me that they have done a gearbox software update but to completely fix the issue I would need to wait another month until the engine update was available. 

After reading these posts, it seems that the gearbox update does not go anywhere near fixing the issues and that the engine update is way more than a month away so I told them to keep hold of the car until the engine update was available and in the meantime I would stop my monthly direct debit. Their response was that in their opinion, the car is drive-able therefore I should take it back and carry on waiting. If I refuse to take the car back they are going to charge me for storing the car at the Audi dealership.

The car is still at the dealership, I've cancelled my direct debit and have put in official compliant to Audi finance who are yet got back to me.

I will keep you posted.

Please keep us posted on how you get on. It's not good enough really. I'll be interested to here how Audi respond to you cancelling your direct debit. 

Cheers

Steve

Good on you Graham,

It’s refreshing to know that you are taking a positive and ‘next move up to Audi’ approach to this unacceptable problem. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I have to say that since my software update (previously mentioned), my 50tdi has been fine, No shuddering, no massive delay leaving roundabouts, etc. It is a huge improvement. 

I would urge people to ask their dealers about the software update: 

Software update to gearbox carried out and software update for Engine Control Module carried out.

The software version went from 4M0907401L 0001, to 4M0907401L 0002. 

• 1 month later...

Audi Tamworth are now informing me that an engine software update was released in late May and this, along with the earlier gearbox update, has now been installed on my car.

I have asked for specific details of the updates but as of yet hey have not been forthcoming with this information.

Gallion, has yours had the latest engine update and if so do you know the software versions for both the gearbox and engine updates or are they both covered by the same number (4M0907401L 0002)?

Anybody else heard of or had this latest software installed recently? 

Hi

The engine control module software was covered by the number you quoted but I think this is just for the engine itself. I have the Audi cam video from the update on my car and it shows the update to the ECM but not the details about the gearbox software as far as I can see.

The technician mentioned that they also updated the gearbox software at the same time.

As I have already mentioned in the thread, this seem to have made a big difference to the car with no evidence of the shuddering at all since the update was performed.

5 hours ago, Gailion said:

Hi

The engine control module software was covered by the number you quoted but I think this is just for the engine itself. I have the Audi cam video from the update on my car and it shows the update to the ECM but not the details about the gearbox software as far as I can see.

The technician mentioned that they also updated the gearbox software at the same time.

As I have already mentioned in the thread, this seem to have made a big difference to the car with no evidence of the shuddering at all since the update was performed.

Thanks Gallion.

Audi have now quoted the following, the 2nd number being the engine update:

4M0 907 401 AL

4M0 907 401 AJ

As you say these have made a big difference then I think I will take the car back and give it a go.

Thanks again for your help.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:02 PM, Graystoke said:

Thanks Gallion.

Audi have now quoted the following, the 2nd number being the engine update:

4M0 907 401 AL

4M0 907 401 AJ

As you say these have made a big difference then I think I will take the car back and give it a go.

Thanks again for your help.

I am glad to confirm that the software updates do seem to have fixed all the issues I was experiencing. The car now feels much more alive and responsive to the throttle and is now a pleasure to drive. Too bad it's taken 18 months into a 3 year lease to get it sorted but I must admit that I am now happy with the way the car drives.