Buying a B9. Water pump and timing belt replaced?

rufnek2kx

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a b9 Audi 1.4. I've seen a good looking one from a local independent dealer, however it was mentioned that the waterpump and timing belt had been recently replaced (40k miles). 

1) If the water pump had to be replaced at 40k, does this indicate any other potential problems? What else should I look out for before buying?

2) My understanding is that the b9 1.4 tfsi has a timing chain, not belt. Can anyone correct me on this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello Mo,

I think you are being very wise in querying this.

Does it have a belt or a chain? Don’t know, but ask your nearest Audi dealer (I would ask this question of the parts dept.) 

If is has a belt, would it be normal to have been replaced at 40k miles or 4 years? I would believe no - it would have been changed early.

If it is a belt, and you’ve been told it’s been changed, then simply ask for sight of the invoice or a copy of the print out from the VAG system. That should sort the sales-men from the sales-boys! 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.