Suspension Help

Ryanh1008

Hi all .. my first post here and from what I can see from google searches it's a common one .. but I just can't find the answers I need

One of my front springs has snapped and on ECP there are 3 different coil springs ... standard/sport - non sline/sport - sline

Please can someone help me out finding out what suspension I have .. If it's a case of taking the springs off and measuring them then that's what I'll have to do

My A3: Audi A3 8PA 2010 2.0tdi 5 door the only codes I can find in the option list that relate to suspension are G38 and UA1 which from what I can find tell me nothing about what springs are on the car ... I've had a quick look with the car on the ground and managed to see a white and red mark on the spring but nothing more.

I apologise again for repeating what seems to be a common thread, but I'm struggling to find the answers I need and with all the restrictions in place at the moment I don't want to be ordering the wrong spring and having to have more deliveries than needed

Thanks again!!

Hello Ryan,

Can we take it you are attempting to buy your spring/s from an aftermarket source rather than from an open main dealer? 

As I see it, you will need to have your original spring set up identified via. its build record via. the VIN to be assured you are buying the correct replacement. 

Of course, someone might come up with the correct recommendation from the colours you quote, but then it’s a chance you have to take as to whether the information proves to be correct.

Are you intending to change both springs or just the broken one? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for the reply

Yes I've just been looking on euro car parts at the springs. I would be looking at changing both sides, I have never replaced just 1 .. I have always gone for 2 or all 4

Do you think the safest option would be to speak to a main dealer and see what support they can offer?

Hello Ryan,

I’m never quite sure why people favour ECP as a preferred supplier. Something to do with their perceived % discounts on often so called retail prices? End result even after discount may possibly be found not to be competitive with other on-line suppliers selling at non discount prices.  

If this were mine, I would be investigating purchase routes via. open main dealers to have far more assurance that you will end up with the correct parts. 

Pre Covid-19, there were sources of genuine Audi parts at discount. Think one was Audi Parts Direct (or similar name )  - part of Cardiff Audi, now believed to be called Mon Motors. Currently open? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

2 hours ago, Ryanh1008 said:

Hi all .. my first post here and from what I can see from google searches it's a common one .. but I just can't find the answers I need

One of my front springs has snapped and on ECP there are 3 different coil springs ... standard/sport - non sline/sport - sline

Please can someone help me out finding out what suspension I have .. If it's a case of taking the springs off and measuring them then that's what I'll have to do

My A3: Audi A3 8PA 2010 2.0tdi 5 door the only codes I can find in the option list that relate to suspension are G38 and UA1 which from what I can find tell me nothing about what springs are on the car ... I've had a quick look with the car on the ground and managed to see a white and red mark on the spring but nothing more.

I apologise again for repeating what seems to be a common thread, but I'm struggling to find the answers I need and with all the restrictions in place at the moment I don't want to be ordering the wrong spring and having to have more deliveries than needed

Thanks again!!

I do agree it is both annoying and frustrating. But not helped as there was some many different models of a3 8p over the production run. What model of a3 8p is yours? I believe there are 4 different heights for the springs which are set out as you describe: 

Standard which is found on SE models etc

Sport 

S-Line

S3/RS3. 

It gets more complicated though, as non sport models of any variant could be specified with sports suspension as an optional extra. 

My advice would be to look at the build sticker which can be found in either your boot or inside front cover of your service book. 

Use a vag decoder as per link which may help determine which suspension you have. 

http://prsearch.planetvag.com

Cheers

Steve