Winter wheels on Q7 Vorsprung

TOOL

Hi guys,

I have a 2019 Q7 Vorsprung and I work in Switzerland. I’ll need to fit winter tyres when the time comes.

Does anyone know if I can fit smaller wheels than the 22” and still clear the brakes? Hoping to fit smaller cheaper wheels and tyres and gain some more rubber.

Cheers,

Andy

• 1 month later...

For reference, I bought a set of 20” wheels and had my winter tyres fitted to them.

They clear the brake calipers no issues.

You need to get the 4M wheels though as they changed the PCD.

• 4 months later...

Did you manage to get Y speed rated winter tyres? I have just found out the hard way that summer tyres don’t work on snow. I am now struggling to find 285 45 20 Y tyres. My local dealer doesn’t seem to have much knowledge in this area

Hello Glyn,

Many thanks for being in touch.

I would share your potential (understandable) difficulties in obtaining Y rated winter tyres. 

Y speed rated tyres are capable of withstanding speeds in excess of 160 mph, and it would be difficult to imaging why  anyone would be thinking about driving at over twice the legal limit on snow and ice! - particularly around the beautiful rural lanes of Shropshire. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 11 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 7:35 PM, Glyn said:

Did you manage to get Y speed rated winter tyres? I have just found out the hard way that summer tyres don’t work on snow. I am now struggling to find 285 45 20 Y tyres. My local dealer doesn’t seem to have much knowledge in this area

I bought these in the end:

Toyo Snowprox S954 SUV 285/45R20 112 V XL

I used them in Switzerland and they were great in the snow and ice.

I’ve put them back on the car this winter too as I do a fair commute. Plus it helps keep my 22s out of the salt on the winter roads.

They aren’t as smooth as the factory wheels though.

• Like 1