Boot light not working

A38P

Hi all, my boot light is not working. I've tried changing the bulbs and still nothing. I've even put a multimeter onto the wire to see if it has a voltage however it doesn't. How can I fix this?

Thanks

I can't find a reference in the manual to tell which is the right fuse. I suggest you look online for it.

The switch is integrated into the boot lock and apparently can not be renewed independently of the rest of the mechanism.

• Like 1

Hello Parm,

OK, so you’ve used a multimeter to check if you have 12v at the bulb holder - and you haven’t.

Have you confirmed with the meter, that you have a good earth connection at the holder? That’s the next step, and obviously if you do, then you are lacking a 12 volt supply - always worth checking in this way, rather than assuming the earth connection is good. 

As Cliff says, you now have to look in your handbook and check what fuse supplies the boot light. The fuse may supply other associated lights, so obviously that will also give you a clue to whether the issue is fuse associated or not. 

If you have eliminated the fuse, it’s worth peeling back the rubber covering over the section of harness which runs from the body to the tailgate - often the site for otherwise unexplained electrical issues, since the wires are constantly flexed when opening and closing the boot, and can eventually fracture. Careful examination is required. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

OK, so now you are looking at checking you have a good earth at the bulb holder, and if this is confirmed - following my earlier advice. 

Let us know how you get on Parm.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Parm,

No disrespects, but if you are asking this question, then please apply social distancing! from all car electric checking. Your vehicle and yourself could potentially be at risk. 

Best advice is to entrust your boot light issue to a local auto electrician. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 11 months later...

Hi, the A3 8p 04-12 has the luggage/boot light is controlled through the comfort control module  ( located on the right side rear trim of the boot.

I is likely signalled by the CAN-BUS when the boot is open,I will attach a wiring diagram . it could be a broken wire in the harness joining the boot lid to the car (as mentioned by Gareth ) but before opening all the loom, first find the correct wire at the comfort module and do a continuity test to the light . W3 is the boot light.

I know the question is old ,but I am trying to solve the same fault, and will update ,if or when i solve mine.

Phil

Screenshot 2021-10-17 at 04.13.57.png

Screenshot 2021-10-17 at 04.16.23.png

Screenshot 2021-10-17 at 20.13.13.png

Screenshot 2021-10-17 at 20.14.39.png

• Like 1

• 2 years later...