**wanted** Accelerator position sensor 1998 S4

Jon.burr

Good afternoon everyone.

I have a 1998 pre-facelift S4 and am in need of an Accelerator Position Sensor, the part number I require is 028 907 475 AM..... The crucial bit allegedly being the AM at the end...

Firstly, does anyone have one I can buy?

Or secondly, any good suggestions of a breakers I could try in order to get one?

I have exhausted a Google search for breakers yards, with no-one having anything that old in stock.

Thanks in advance - Jon

Hi pal, thanks for the suggestion... I have tried the wonderful world of eBay but it's let me down. 

I am baffled as to why I can get every single other part number, just not the one I need...! I'm beginning to think it doesn't even exist. 

23 minutes ago, Jon.burr said:

Hi pal, thanks for the suggestion... I have tried the wonderful world of ebay but it's let me down. 

I am baffled as to why I can get every single other part number, just not the one I need...! I'm beginning to think it doesn't even exist. 

It might be worth forgetting the s4 bit, abd just looking under the part number as I wouldn't be surprised if the same part was fitted to other Audi models such as the s3 or a6 c5 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd hoped it was on the S6 from the same time and that there'd be plenty of them in circulation but I don't think it was. I've tried every possible combination of words and spaces (or lack of words and spaces) that I can think of 🤦🏻‍♂️

I dont understand how a B/F/AM etc letter at the end can make it such a different unit... The 1998 car is the same as the 1999 car, same as the 2000 car... I don't really understand how they can't be interchangeable!! 

It's so frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Jon.burr said:

Yeah, I'd hoped it was on the S6 from the same time and that there'd be plenty of them in circulation but I don't think it was. I've tried every possible combination of words and spaces (or lack of words and spaces) that I can think of 🤦🏻‍♂️

I dont understand how a B/F/AM etc letter at the end can make it such a different unit... The 1998 car is the same as the 1999 car, same as the 2000 car... I don't really understand how they can't be interchangeable!! 

It's so frustrating. 

Hi I think that your problem is that there was probably a part number supersession shortly after your car was built, I have had the same problem with my car but have found out that the supersession part number is not recognised  but the old number minus the letters is, if the part looks the same it probably is the same as I am led to believe they changed the letters at the end which designates the year they changed suppliers. Worth a try.

Steve,

It'd be nice if you're right. The garage I took the car to were certain that it would have to be a 100% like for like swap... However I can't get one like for like, so like you're suggesting, I might have to just buy a few with different last letters and try them till one works 🤞🤞🤞

Is it an Accelerator Position Sensor that you're struggling with or something different? 

Hi, no it was a Map sensor and an oxygen sensor and then rear pads all of which I bought without the correct letter at the end of the part number but fitted and work ok, I think its a bit of smoke and mirrors as remembering back to my Ford days I had to get a throttle position sensor and ended up going to Ford to get it, the price for my one for 2.2 titanium x was £104.00 but I think the guy on the parts counter must have been on a promise as he pulled me to one side and suggested I bought the £46.00 item with different letters on the end of the part number, apparently this one was fitted to the Focus and most Volvos at that time, the only difference was the letters which commanded the different price, it worked perfectly for the next 160k and the only difference between what I bought and should have bought was the Focus pedal did not have the holes for the go faster alloy pedal cover, soon sorted that, mark the holes on the new pedal, drill the new pedal and pop rivet the cover on.

Steve.

Yeah I could do with someone 'in the know' just like him. 

Gosh, 160 thousand miles...Good effort. My Audi is on about 150k and I doubt will ever get to see 160k...

Especially if I can't sort this pedal sensor, it'll never turn a wheel again 😭

There's a few on eBay (oddly all from Lithuania 🤷🏻‍♂️) with the right part numbers just different last letters. I might have to just buy a job lot and try them all. 

7 minutes ago, Jon.burr said:

Yeah I could do with someone 'in the know' just like him. 

Gosh, 160 thousand miles...Good effort. My Audi is on about 150k and I doubt will ever get to see 160k...

Especially if I can't sort this pedal sensor, it'll never turn a wheel again 😭

There's a few on ebay (oddly all from Lithuania 🤷🏻‍♂️) with the right part numbers just different last letters. I might have to just buy a job lot and try them all. 

Hi don't just buy a job lot, just buy the one that looks the same as yours with the same part number bar the letters, I know they are a pain in so much as they get the engine to have flat spots which will make it a bad drive, I am pretty sure that it will work apart from which the garage should be able to get the current part number out of the main dealer, BTW I used my old Ford as a cab and it already had 130k on it when I fitted the new pedal, believe me when I say if the position sensor gets fixed you should see 160k easily.

Steve.

Hi Jon just spoken to a mate who has suggested that you try and get the manufacturer number off of your old unit not the Audi number he says its probably a Bosch part so look for any other numbers other than the Audi one.

Steve.

Hello Jon,

I had a search on the Audi part no./ Bosch cross reference, but failed. I would agree with Steve that the part was probably manufactured by Bosch, so if this were mine, I would now be searching for a contact number for Bosch Technical and seeking advice there, based on their part number ( and availability) for the correct one for your model year. 
My experience of Audi part numbering systems concur with your garage - the last letter is all important - and not a simple derivative of some minor development of the original, as with some manufacturers.

What is the issue with your current one? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Cheers Steve, I think they are Bosch like you say... Certainly all the ones I see on eBay as replacements are all Bosch. Mine is still in the car so I'll have to get it out when I get chance. Thanks for all your efforts 👍

Hiya Gareth. 

The issue with my car is mainly that unfortunately I don't get time to drive it. In the last 2yrs it's only really driven to the MOT garage and back 😭

I went to take it up the road about a month ago just to keep it running, got about 1/4 of a mile and without warning it just slowed and slowed down to a crawl. I pulled over turned it off, turned it on and it was back to normal. I drove it home with no problem. 

About a week later I went out again but this time from initial start up the EPC light was on. I drove off the estate no trouble then went to speed up and the turbos won't kick in, and it won't go over about 3,000 rpm. It still drives, it just seems like it's stuck in some sort of limp mode and the ESP light is permanently on. 

A bit of Google research suggested to clean the air intake throttle body so I did that. It was dirty but when put back together had zero effect. 

I then took it to a vw/audi garage in the hope that a magic computer obd reset would be all it needed, but unfortunately not. 

They cleared a few codes but the one that remained was this accelerator position sensor. So I can only really go off what the computer says is the issue and believe that's at fault. But now I simply can't get the one I'm being told I need 😔

3 hours ago, audia4b5kev said:

Hi Jon, I looked at these this morning just not the one Kev found which to be fair at that price has to be worth a punt, I would genuinely believe it may well do the job based on Kev extended knowledge of older Audis especially as he only has a couple and you don't keep this one man collection going without having some idea about whats, what. they are very different from Ford/Vauxhall as they don't come with the pedal attached which should make it easier to swap.

Steve.

6 minutes ago, Jon.burr said:

Cheers boys, I've ordered that one, I'll give it a go. 

Thanks for all your suggestions. 

Hi good skills, just observe the position of your old actuator arm when fitting it to the new unit, they are pretty simple things really as they are a stepper motor that increases the signal voltage as you press the throttle down at least two of the feed wires will be can bus  and one of them will be analogue, the can bus circuits for diagnostic purposes should ideally rise in voltage together with a variance of no more than five percent this is checked against the analogue reading by the ECU and if all is within accepted values it will start to pen the throttle valve as per the pedal demand.

Steve.