2.0 TFSI Audi A4 Oil Consumption Issue

FiveStarSAMz

On 2/4/2022 at 7:06 PM, Jonno S3 said:

Thanks for the input. I know the Focus and Volvo share the same power plant and renowned for being strong,  it's likely the Volvo driver would be more Conservative than the Ford and more spent on servicing etc, just not many about. 

The problem when you buy a hot hatch is the likelihood it's been ragged as that's exactly what they are designed for, a full service history like I have on my S3 is clearly not good enough.

I have also read the Mini JCW also drinks oil, assume its a BMW engine so they must have done something similar for emissions.  

Mazda make there own engine for the MPS and I haven't been able to find anything negative about them online, again not easy to come by a good example and the early ones are £550 tax, it's the 2011 on I would be looking for.  Think the well documented torque steer put people of buying them.

Do any of you know if the golf gti has the same tfsi engine as my S3 and do they suffer with the same issue?

Sorry, this is detracting from the original post but it's good having car guy's giving me opinions. 

Hi Jonno the Mini has a Peugeot SPA derived engine and believe me they drink oil as they get older, I have serviced my nieces Mini for the last five years and even though the milage is very mild less than 3k a year whenever I get it there is always less than half the sump capacity left in it, the mechanic I use reckons they should have been a diesel the amount of oil they use,

Yes the Focus and the C30 use the same engine but it is originally a Volvo engine anyway, the difference being Volvo lent Ford the engine design years ago but Ford have gone for broke by developing it in to the Ecoboost which according to my contact in Dunton is living on the edge and if you inadvertently loose coolant you are guaranteed head gasket failure and most likely a redundant engine.

The Golf GTI engine is a different animal but this to will burn oil if the previous owner has used rubbish fuel which will blow holes and cracks in pistons as well as cracking rings through pre detonation you can only use 98 super unleaded in them, as for the Mazda the serving and parts are outrageous if you use a main dealer  but with regard to the torque steer I would put that down to bring style especially in wet weather, I can get my A6 to torque steer if I give it enough with the lead divers boot in the wet its a penchant of front wheel drive cars I am afraid.

Steve.

• 6 months later...

It's been a while since anyone posted on this thread.

FiveStarSamz, what has the outcome been with your car?, did you get anywhere with Audi?

I offloaded my S3 to one of the big car buyers and as far as I can tell its nolonger on the road, i can't find details on the DVLA website although it's possible the registration was sold.

I purchase an st3,  not a wise decision as it was best described as a blunt instrument,  0 refinement and harsh suspension,  I managed to keep it 5 months before it was stolen despite having a stoplock pro installed.

I am just about to pull the trigger on a 2016 mk3 TT with the tfsi engine the only thing stopping me is the oil consumption issue.  I have had a read online and from what I can ascertain the issue was fixed in 2014. Does anyone know if this is the case or if the issue still exists?

Any help appreciated. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonno S3 said:

It's been a while since anyone posted on this thread.

FiveStarSamz, what has the outcome been with your car?, did you get anywhere with Audi?

I offloaded my S3 to one of the big car buyers and as far as I can tell its nolonger on the road, i can't find details on the DVLA website although it's possible the registration was sold.

I purchase an st3,  not a wise decision as it was best described as a blunt instrument,  0 refinement and harsh suspension,  I managed to keep it 5 months before it was stolen despite having a stoplock pro installed.

I am just about to pull the trigger on a 2016 mk3 TT with the tfsi engine the only thing stopping me is the oil consumption issue.  I have had a read online and from what I can ascertain the issue was fixed in 2014. Does anyone know if this is the case or if the issue still exists?

Any help appreciated. 

There is still a risk.  But definitely less of a risk.