Brakes brakes brakes!!!

SpiritMR

This is doing my head in. 

Owned it for nearly 2yrs now. 

Had constant problems with the brakes. 

Since owning it, must have had each caliper replaced atleast twice. The most often (once every 2month) is the NSR

Now starting on new things. Recently had the handbrake cables replaced. 

Starting to wonder if it is either the master cylinder not returning all the preasure properly, a split joint, or flexi. 

Any idea's?

Absolutely love the car, dpf and egr removed, cheeky little remap, it absolutely flies, and handles amazing. Really don't want to get rid of it, because of this.

I know very little about Audi’s despite being a mechanic 15 years but I know you’re not the only one suffering with caliper problems. I’ve changed more than I can remember. Usually NSR. Last one I did was a fortnight ago on a S3. Also need to replace the nsr caliper on a A3 I’ve just bought 

1 hour ago, SpiritMR said:

Owned it for nearly 2yrs now. 

Had constant problems with the brakes. 

Since owning it, must have had each caliper replaced atleast twice. The most often (once every 2month) is the NSR

Why are you renewing the calipers so often? To put it another way, what was wrong with them?

I have had my A3 for 6 years and never touched the calipers except once to renew the pads.

Hello Mark,

I have a feeling this isn’t going to help you very much, but….

Our 2006 A3 has now covered 166k during family ownership, and has had the rear calipers changed once - some years ago. It’s also had a pair of Febi handbrake cables, but importantly? - the aluminium guide tubes into which the cables emerge, we’re also renewed ( genuine Audi). As I understand it, these are a common seizure point for the securing and smooth operation of handbrake mechanism. 
I would also say that the brake efficiency of this car has been the benchmark for all other cars which have been owned or driven - I rate the brakes as still being superb. Again for what it’s worth, only Audi pads have been used, except for a brief try of Apex - which were quickly changed due to a noticeable lowering of braking efficiency. I certainly appreciate alternative points of view and experience that most aftermarket brake pads are brake pads, are brake pads, and just as good, but experiences vary, and I have found paying a little extra for VAG pads (at discount) , has always served me well.

Back to the problem:- were the guide tubes renewed when the cables were renewed, and have you tried disconnecting the cables before winding back the pistons? If not, you may well find that the cables are holding the pads partly on even when you think they are off. I would try disconnecting the cables, winding back the pistons, fitting the new pads, then (importantly) reconnecting the cables and adjusting them accordingly. 
Hope some of this experience may be of help. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Mark,

OK, you don’t actually do the work, so my advice is somewhat meaningless, as indeed would be anyone’s advice, since you have to relay that advice to the garage.
Their response may well be ‘oh yeh’ or similar, and what facility/opportunity do you have to even input the advice? 
Can’t really add much more than that. 
Apologies Mark, and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi, good idea changing the hand brake cables as if one is slightly seized it will hold that calliper on slightly and have a massive heat up and cook the calliper, most calliper problems are caused by dirty brake fluid which contains to much water as brake fluid is Hydroscopic and will absorb loads of water which lays in the piston housing and rots it to the calliper body.

Steve.