code readers

ok, i have been reading up the articles on code readers OBDeleven, OBDeleven next gen, vcrs...... can anyone tell me the the easiest one to use?, i do not do any work on my every day cars they always go into main dealers for work to be done, but i would like to be able to take it in knowing what the problem is rather than having a £3000 bill for changing a mechanical part when it was really just a sensor.... (never trust a Mercedes dealer)

cheers Tony

8 hours ago, Tony Barnes said:

i'm used to the iCarsoft equipment so i have bought myself a iCarsoft VAWS V2.0 - For AUDI Professional Diagnostic Tool, £136.00 from eBay.

Hi Tony I can agree on the duplicity of the dealers 100% the answer to your question albeit a little late is the OBD Eleven Pro as I got to borrow what you have just bought and found it a bit limited on functions.

Steve.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Tony I can agree on the duplicity of the dealers 100% the answer to your question albeit a little late is the OBD Eleven Pro as I got to borrow what you have just bought and found it a bit limited on functions.

Steve.

so the obdeleven pro, do you have to pay a subscription? i thought i read somewhere that you have to pay to use it? that's why i went for the iCarsoft, i litterally need it to know exactly what is wrong with it. Cheers Tony

1 hour ago, Tony Barnes said:

so the obdeleven pro, do you have to pay a subscription? i thought i read somewhere that you have to pay to use it? that's why i went for the iCarsoft, i litterally need it to know exactly what is wrong with it. Cheers Tony

Hi yes you have to buy credit packs to use any of the adaptation functions but the charges for blocks of credits are pretty reasonable and the unit itself is almost as as capable as the VCDS which I paid a lot for and depending on the VIN level I.E. unlimited it works out very expensive, in essence you would have to buy a hell of a lot of credit to get anywhere near the price of VCDS, I am currently looking at my friends new set up which is generic and produced by Autocom and so far on my car its picked up every fault the VCDS has, I wish you luck with your system as I know they are constantly improving and if all else fails you are always welcome to come on here and pick our collective brains, it won't take long, Lol.

Steve.

i'll see how i get on with the iCarsoft, if it doesn't work out then i'll get and OBDeleven, just don't like the idea of having to buy an item then have to pay again to use it, i am a sad git that runs a diagnostic on my cars at least once a month.

9 minutes ago, Tony Barnes said:

i'll see how i get on with the iCarsoft, if it doesn't work out then i'll get and OBDeleven, just don't like the idea of having to buy an item then have to pay again to use it, i am a sad git that runs a diagnostic on my cars at least once a month.

I do t think it's sad at all, you've got me looking into it now. I'll be curious to see how you get on with the icarsoft. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

I do t think it's sad at all, you've got me looking into it now. I'll be curious to see how you get on with the icarsoft. 

I'll let you know, the initial purchase price is higher but all the other iCarsoft units I've used on Jaguars and Mercedes have all been spot on, the other thing is I am always more than happy to lend it out to anyone in reasonable driving distance. 

6 hours ago, Tony Barnes said:

Hi Tony not sad at all its called preventative maintenance, I do it and picking up faults that were intermittent was the way I knew my Oxygen sensor was about to die so I bought a new one and saved it the trouble of blocking my DPF as that won't regen with a dodgy sensor.

Steve.

• 1 year later...

Tony,

How are you getting on with the ICarsoft code reader? Do you know if it will reset the Service Due indicator? I carry out my own servicing  but I can only reset the oil change indicator from the Infotainment system and not the Service Due