2.0 tfsi coolant

John burgz

I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some advice, my audi seems to be losing alot of coolant fluid, I can't see any leaks any where but when I have had to refill I've just used water, am I better off using manufacturer advised liquid or is it a common problem

I'd definitely recommend getting a proper diagnosis. As loosing coolant isn't good. What colour smoke is coming out of the exhaust, because if it's not leaking then it could be a failing head gasket. 

I'd definitely recommend thoroughly checking the coolant system though, it could even be the expansion tank cap seal. 

• Thanks 1

Hello Brandon,

Thanks for being in touch, and sorry to hear of your problem.

Any coolant use is abnormal. You need to tell us how much coolant is being used per x number of miles. Yes, you should top up with a 50/50 mix of the correct  type of coolant, not water, but water will do for now. 

As Steve says - and I guess you have eliminated any external leak sources. 
Simple DIY test:- Take the car for 5 mile run, and immediately get an assistant to rev. the engine to a steady 2000rpm and hold it at that rev. for two minutes while you observe the exhaust - looking for any degree of white smoke - or really any other coloured smoke. 
Perhaps you could do that and come back to us.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Brandon, but you haven’t told us how much coolant it uses, and you haven’t confirmed you have carried out the suggested test, so we don’t have a lot to go with. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Could check the underside of the oil filler cap for a mayo type substance, if present then that is a fairly solid indicator for head gasket failure. Also, presuming your engine is inline as is mine, I believe there is a plastic elbow that exits the rear of the engine block that's prone to failure.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Hello Ian,

Apologies for a varying opinion, but in my book, any evidence of mayo under the oil filler cap isn’t necessarily/generally  a ‘solid  indicator’ of HGF. If everyone who had mayo under their oil filler cap were to renew head gaskets, the world would quickly run out of head gaskets! 
Some mayo is almost inevitable due to condensation usually associated with short runs/non motorway running. Yes, excessive mayo can be associated with HGF but is certainly not a confirmation of it.

Apologies, but don’t pull anything apart, based on some mayo under an oil filler cap.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 8/25/2022 at 7:18 PM, John burgz said:

I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some advice, my audi seems to be losing alot of coolant fluid, I can't see any leaks any where but when I have had to refill I've just used water, am I better off using manufacturer advised liquid or is it a common problem

Have you carefully inspected the coolant flange on the rear of the block close to the bulkhead, its a well documented point for leaks and it easy to overlook.

A closer inspection with a torch around the joint will soon show up a leak, its a common fault on the 2.0tfsi.

best of luck .

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Ian,

Apologies for a varying opinion, but in my book, any evidence of mayo under the oil filler cap isn’t necessarily/generally  a ‘solid  indicator’ of HGF. If everyone who had mayo under their oil filler cap were to renew head gaskets, the world would quickly run out of head gaskets! 
Some mayo is almost inevitable due to condensation usually associated with short runs/non motorway running. Yes, excessive mayo can be associated with HGF but is certainly not a confirmation of it.

Apologies, but don’t pull anything apart, based on some mayo under an oil filler cap.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I'm all up for varying opinions. Differing opinions and ideas could very well find the solution.

I leaned on previous experience regarding the 'mayo under the oil filler v head gasket failure'. which in my case was no way near excessive, but that is by-the-by.

Ian  

Many thanks Ian,

I would guess this boils down to:-  mayo might (in caps) be an indicator of HGF, but is so common as to not be taken as any guarantee that there is indeed anything wrong. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:18 PM, Magnet said:

Thanks Brandon, but you haven’t told us how much coolant it uses, and you haven’t confirmed you have carried out the suggested test, so we don’t have a lot to go with. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

It doesn't really lose liquid over a period of time, it can be full one night and empty the ne t morning but then when I fill it up it will be sound for a month or so then drop right down again

• 1 year later...

Hey guys I have similar problem! After changing the thermostat housing everything seemed good but still I have a leak from somewhere under the engine. I don’t have a clue what could the problem be, any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...