Cold starting problem

Caddy2156

Hi 

audi s3 mk1 8l 

My car used to idle above 1000 revs on cold startup then drop to below 1000 revs after 1 minutes.it has now stopped doing this? Did have new inlet pipe fitted..and fuel filter.

If I leave car over 12 hours it doesn't start until maybe 4 to 5 turns and when started idles under 1000 revs

Once started it will start first time until I leave 12 hours or more..

No codes on ecu and engine management light is off

Any ideas what it could be??

Thanks 

Edited by Caddy2156

If there's no codes then it's old fashioned diagnostics I'm afraid. 

What condition is the battery? If it's old it might be worth getting this checked? 

Spark plugs/glow plugs when we're these last changed? 

Is it worth getting the starter motor looked at? 

14 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

If there's no codes then it's old fashioned diagnostics I'm afraid. 

What condition is the battery? If it's old it might be worth getting this checked? 

Spark plugs/glow plugs when we're these last changed? 

Is it worth getting the starter motor looked at? 

Hi 

Thanks for reply 

Battery is good ,spark plugs and coil packs changed 2 months ago, no clicking from starter motor..

It doesn't seem to want to fire up straight away takes like 4 attempts then it will start.makes like a puffing noise for a few seconds then runs fine..and will start everytime after. until car is cold again then same problem starting.

Don't know if there's a sensor that could be affecting the starting problem? Or maybe a broken air pipe?

40 minutes ago, Caddy2156 said:

Hi 

Oil change is due 

Have been Topping up with 5w30 c3 ? Don't know if it could be oil as always use 5w30. But first time using this oil

20220930_032303.jpg

Edited by Caddy2156

Hello David,

Oil associated?? I seriously doubt it. 
Not sure with your engine, but there is usually a coolant temperature sensor that monitors the coolant temperature, and signals the ECU to provide the correct mixture - obviously, a richer mixture for cold start. If this sensor fails, it usually does so to an ‘average mixture’ and obviously not rich enough for instant cold starts. Ok , no fault code, but I don’t have complete faith in the integrity of these codes. 
As an aside, and I may be blown out of the water with this, but RAC oil via. B&M and such outlets?? A nice engine deserves nice  oil. Treat it to Quantum - VAG approved at not much more, and delivered to your door from a variety of eBay sellers. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello David,

Oil associated?? I seriously doubt it. 
Not sure with your engine, but there is usually a coolant temperature sensor that monitors the coolant temperature, and signals the ECU to provide the correct mixture - obviously, a richer mixture for cold start. If this sensor fails, it usually does so to an ‘average mixture’ and obviously not rich enough for instant cold starts. Ok , no fault code, but I don’t have complete faith in the integrity of these codes. 
As an aside, and I may be blown out of the water with this, but RAC oil via. B&M and such outlets?? A nice engine deserves nice  oil. Treat it to Quantum - VAG approved at not much more, and delivered to your door from a variety of EBay sellers. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi 

Thanks for reply 

I will look at replacing the coolant sensor and see what happens 

Many thanks