Audi A3 won't unlock

RaphaelW

Hi,

I have a 2007 Audi A3 and I've been away for 3 months due to work and I've come back and havent been able to unlock the car with the key fob or the manual lock. I've replaced the battery in the key fob but it appears the battery is completely dead however I'm assuming the manual lock should still work? 

If anyone needs any more details let me know and I'd appreciate any help I can get.

-R

Raphael.

It's hard to believe the key will not unlock the driver's door, even though the car battery may be flat, without a breakage of the mechanical linkage inside the door. Are you sure it is not unlocking? Don't be deceived by the lack of noise usually made by the solenoids. The key should still unlock only the door it is used in.

22 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Raphael.

It's hard to believe the key will not unlock the driver's door, even though the car battery may be flat, without a breakage of the mechanical linkage inside the door. Are you sure it is not unlocking? Don't be deceived by the lack of noise usually made by the solenoids. The key should still unlock only the door it is used in.

Thanks for the reply,

The key turns to the right but theres no give in the door whatsoever,  nothing audible or physical that seems to change when the key is turned, I've tried it several times now.

Hello Raphael, 

As Cliff says, but it sounds as if a linkage off the lock has seized. You could try some WD 40 into the lock, and down between the glass and the trim along the top of the door, but be careful that the WD40 tube doesn’t get stuck in anywhere where you don’t want it! Of course, beware of putting too much strain on the key in your attempts to unlock.

Short of that working, it sounds as if you are going to need the assistance of the breakdown service/ local garage to get in. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 11/2/2022 at 1:51 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Raphael, 

As Cliff says, but it sounds as if a linkage off the lock has seized. You could try some WD 40 into the lock, and down between the glass and the trim along the top of the door, but be careful that the WD40 tube doesn’t get stuck in anywhere where you don’t want it! Of course, beware of putting too much strain on the key in your attempts to unlock.

Short of that working, it sounds as if you are going to need the assistance of the breakdown service/ local garage to get in. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Gave it a go with still no joy.  Might just have to take it to a garage at this point which is a total nuisance but many thanks for the help

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 5:22 PM, cliffcoggin said:

Raphael.

Have you tried the key in every lock? I can believe the linkage breaking in one door, but not all of them.

Unfortunately there's only one manual lock on the drivers side door on this particular model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaphaelW said:

Unfortunately there's only one manual lock on the drivers side door on this particular model.

Does the boot not have a separate lock for the key? 

If it does you'll have to clamber in to unlock the rest of the car. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Does the boot not have a separate lock for the key? 

If it does you'll have to clamber in to unlock the rest of the car. 

Unless its extremely hidden, I couldn't see a lock, just a button to open the boot...