Intermittent starting issue 2022 Q7 50TDI

RobDag

Hi all,

We ordered a brand new Q7 in March this year, and it arrived in early October. About four days after collection, my wife rang me to say it wouldn't start. I confirmed she was pressing the brake pedal, and for around 10 minutes the only thing that happened when she pressed the starter button was that the dashboard lit up, the radio and aircon ran up, but the engine wouldn't start - in fact, it didn't even turn over. This has happened again on a number of occasions over the last two months.

We've had Audi warranty (AA) to look at it, but their computer wasn't up to date enough to read the car, it's been back to the dealer for a couple of days but they couldn't replicate the issue, and there were no fault codes logged, so they asked us to video it when it next failed. When we sent them the video, they said they couldn't tell if we were pushing the brake pedal hard enough, and suggested pushing the starter until the engine started.

We've tried this, but the car still failed to start on occasions even when the button was held down.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with their q7? For a "prestige" brand, I'm not at all impressed with the vehicle or the service from our dealer.

Cheers,

Rob

How often is it doing it? And is it during any specific conditions such as cold, raining etc? 

The dealer can do extensive test drives on it which will increase the chance of the issue showing up. 

Hello Rob,

Many thanks for joining, and sorry to hear of your understandable discontents. 
Apologies, and it could just be me, but you have a less than 2 month old very expensive vehicle that has proved to be  unreliable within the first week, and the interest now lies in whether anyone else has had a similar problem. This really is an irrelevant consideration - you (in caps) have, and it should be sorted to your satisfaction - forget about anyone else. 
If this were mine:- 

I would be contacting Audi U.K. and e-mailing the facts (on a timeline) clearly outlining discontents and dealer actions, or lack of them. Copy in the dealer principal ( not the service manager). 

Up to you, but you could state that you are about to start procedures to reject the vehicle, but this has less clout than it used to due to vehicle shortages. 

I would then be contacting another Audi dealer in your area and booking the car in with them for investigation and rectification of issues. 
Perhaps you can keep us informed as things progress Rob. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 year later...

Thanks for joining Gavin,

Regrettably, the original poster appears to have joined the forum, posted his plea for help, and never even returned to view any responses.

Good, isn’t it!? 

You could try sending him a PM in the hope he is still using the same e-mail address, but you could also list full details of your issue, and see what responses we get.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth. Had the same issue occur twice for me after the car has been parked either overnight or all day. 
bit then it hasn’t happened since. 
Car is 6 months old….

press brake and start button, dashboard and lights come on but no ignition (no crank, no clicks, silence)  dashboard says ‘press brake to start car’ or similar   Brake is very much being pressed!    Tried again and again and it started on the 3rd or 4th time   No rhyme or reason why 

Many thanks Gavin,

Can we take it your Q7 is an automatic? 
If so - on the basis of simple eliminations - I just wonder if it’s possible to double check if it’s ‘firmly’ in Park. Pardon my ignorance with your particular model, so I’m not really sure that what I’ve just said is actually practical or not - for example, I have a non-Audi which has a rotational drive selector that lowers on switch off, so I can not ensure it fully rotates to Park. 
Just a thought Gavin. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.