A3 8P 2010 2.0 TDI EGR Cooler Issue

Micron

Hi All,

The car belongs to my son, and we are in the process of trying to sell the car, as he no longer needs it.  I had the car serviced, new MOT, put it up for sale, but when someone came to test drive it, the glow pug light started flashing, but it wasn't on all the time, I plugged in a cheap reader and the code pointed towards the EGR Cooler.  This was replaced before our ownership back in 2020.  I appreciate that replacement is a time consuming affair and expensive if I get a garage to do it, so I was wondering if anyone might have some pointers that I could try before I embark on replacing the EGR Cooler?  It has recently been said elsewhere that it could be a voltage issue, does anyone have access to the wiring diagrams that cover the EGR Cooler to enable me to check the circuits?

Thanks

Trev

The evri shouldn't have failed in less than 3 years unless it was a cheap aftermarket one. 

You could try a battery check to see if it's throwing bup electrical gremlins but I'd doubt it. It'll be around a £1000 bill for replacement 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 11:30 PM, cliffcoggin said:

A battery test would be worthwhile before spending any money on the car. How old is the battery?

Sorry for the late reply, just a quick question, what battery test are you referring to?

The current battery is about 18 months old and as the car is not used, it on a trickle charger.

Also just to add, the code doesn't show all the time, but it is stored in the memory.

IMG_5809.PNG

Edited by Micron

7 hours ago, Micron said:

Sorry for the late reply, just a quick question, what battery test are you referring to?

The current battery is about 18 months old and as the car is not used, it on a trickle charger.

Also just to add, the code doesn't show all the time, but it is stored in the memory.

IMG_5809.PNG

Hi the code you have is generic but looking at the design of the EGR valve it could just be full of soot this would stop the bypass system from working and normally means the control box is having a problem moving the EGR butterfly and the bypass flap which is vacuum controlled, if the unit is at the back of the engine its a real cow to get out, if its on the side of the engine its fairly straight forward to remove and clean, cheap way round it is buy a bottle of EGR cleaner and put it in the tank and run it, or alternatively buy an aerosol cleaner that you spray down the inlet trunking between the air box and turbo, read instructions remove trunking at airbox end and with the engine nice and warm spray at one second intervals until the can is used, I find Lucas turbo and EGR cleaner works well.

Steve.