Why does my gearstick grind when i select 2nd gear

IHK 11

Hi ive got a 2004 Audi a4 1.8t cabrio and its a brilliant car but lately when i select 2nd gear whether going up to 2nd from 1st gear or down to 2nd from 3rd gear the gearstick makes a grinding sound even with the clutch pedal fully pressed. Is this really bad news or a simple fix? Is it likely to get worse. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks from Ian!

Thats great thanks. Its going into the garage friday so hopefully its not too expensive. The car drives really well and all the other gears are fine. Cross fingers. Thanks.

On 1/18/2023 at 9:26 AM, IHK 11 said:

Thats great thanks. Its going into the garage friday so hopefully its not too expensive. The car drives really well and all the other gears are fine. Cross fingers. Thanks.

Please keep us posted on how you get on 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Did this ever get resolved as I have the same grinding on 2nd either up or down but if I double tap the gear stick before selecting up doesn't seem to grind as much 

It hasnt gone into the garage yet. Just waiting to get my coupe back from there. What i have noticed tho is if you go up into 2nd at about 5 mph or less it doesnt grind and if i go down into 2nd gear from 3rd when ive almost stopped it doesnt do it. Its tricky and you really have to concentrate when driving it.

46 minutes ago, IHK 11 said:

It hasnt gone into the garage yet. Just waiting to get my coupe back from there. What i have noticed tho is if you go up into 2nd at about 5 mph or less it doesnt grind and if i go down into 2nd gear from 3rd when ive almost stopped it doesnt do it. Its tricky and you really have to concentrate when driving it.

Hi I ask what may seem a stupid question but have you ever changed the gearbox oil, I change mine every 50k and the difference with the changes is very noticeable.

Steve.

Mine does exactly the same or knock the gear stick twice in neutral doesn't grind bit going back from 3 to 2 nearly always grinds someone did say about the il.bit iv only had the car few weeks so.still.sortimg few little kinks out 

Hello Jayson,

The synchromesh cones are just some of the intricate parts of the gearbox internals - they are not something you can just take off and bolt a new one in. Bad news is that it means the gearbox would need to be removed, dismantled and rebuilt. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

6 hours ago, jayzee said:

Thanks mate I have no idea where arethey then I'll Try anything 

Hi the synchro mechanisms are mounted on the shafts for for each gear they are a system of speed rings and shims that make sure the shaft for gear 2 is spinning at a reciprocal speed to the next gear 3 when they mesh therefore you get a smooth transition, there is no synchro on first gear so from first to second its the second gear shaft that has to be up to speed with with the first gear cluster, it only ever differed on the old crash gearbox which meant you had to double de-clutch to slow the next gear shaft  enough to mesh with the next gear up or down, the advent of hellicoil gears and synchro rings was the architect of todays modern gearbox.

Steve.

Thanks guys I think I'll try the less dramatic first before thinking of pulling the gear box apart 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Any outcome yet ? My 2005 A4 B6 Quattro is becoming more difficult to get into 2nd gear, no grinding noise though, just awkward. Will try oil first I think.

Hi i forgot to update what happened on here. The car did go into the garage last summer and unfortunstely the gearbox was completely finished. The car still ran but it started grinding really bad in reverse 1st and 2nd. I had to get a new gearbox well a second hand one. I bought one off eBay which i was assured fits my car but it didnt so i had to buy a second gearbox which was an absolute peach. I got it from a scrapyard in Stockton on tees with 76,000 miles for £160 delivered which was really good and its been great ever since. There is a 3 digit code on the gearbox which should also be on the cars handbook or service book. I know one is ggg which mine wasnt and the other is something like hfd. I also changed the clutch at the sametime. My mechanic told me that i was really unlucky that the gearbox had gone as they are pretty bulletproof but the car runs perfectly now. Hopefully your gearbox might be ok tho. I think changing the gearbox oil is a good place to start. Good luck. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear it was another g/box 🙁.

Sounds like you were unlucky with it as you suggest - not a bad price though for a working g/box !