Real mpg

Laurentiu

Hello, I have a4b9 2tdi 190 manual and my average mpg is 45 with 31 mph average. on motorway with 70 mph I have about 50mpg. Is that normal  becose for me is look a little to low, or maybe my car  have some issues. 

Looks about right, steady speed on any road is always more efficient.

look up the ‘Honest John real mpg’ website, it gives an average of owners mags that they’ve sent in so I think it’s probably one of the more accurate ones.

I recently purchased a 2.0TFSI 190bhp Auto A4 and i did a 50 mile trip mixture of town and motorway and managed 47mpg at 60-62mph for comparison. Yet to really do some decent mileage as only owned it for a week but i thought it wasn't too bad for a 2.0 petrol. 

3 minutes ago, Laurentiu said:

i expected from diesel to have better mpg in compare with petrol,im  a little disappointing about this engine mpg

I think 50mpg for Diesel doing 70mph isn't too bad tbh. I had a 1.4TFSI Seat Leon and that managed 55mpg+ at 60mph on the motorways but sooooooo slow and smaller haha. 

Which petrol model are you comparing with?

I had a V8 Allroad (300bhp) a few years back, 22mpg was excellent! On the other side, I’ve recently owned a 1.0 tsi dsg Seat Leon estate. Remarkable engine, 115bhp and it averaged 54 over a 3 week, 1000 mile holiday trip.

so it’s all relative!

my current 3.0tdi Allroad averages 39-40, my sons A6 avant 3.0 tdi dies about 42.

There’s lots of things that affect fuel consumption, previous maintenance, whos fuel they used etc. sadly, not all fuels are the same. The supermarkets are ok if you do very high miles but the fuel tends to have far more impurities in it than the premium stuff like Shell, BP, etc.

I do fairly low mileage so after taking lots of advice from various trusted sources, I try to only use Shell, so far (12k miles & 14 months), no sign of any dpf etc issues. (Sadly petrol Allroad are like hens teeth!j

it might be worth getting the injectors cleaned and the car remapped?