Parts shortages

Steve Q

So in light of my sump issue last weekend, it brought the realisation of how scarce some parts are going to become/already have become for the c5. Such as interior trim, electrical items, mechanical items. Anyone else concerned about this? 
My A6 has been in the family since new and intending to keep it on the road for as long as possible.

Hello Steve,

Unfortunately, I think if you work on the principle that any new main-dealer-only part for a >15 year old car is unlikely to be available, unless it shares commonality with later models, then you won’t be disappointed. 
Mechanical parts however should not be an issue via. the aftermarket route. 
Does this point the enthusiastic owner such as yourself to invest in a complete spares car when available? Appreciate space requirements etc., but perhaps needs must at some point. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

18 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Steve,

Unfortunately, I think if you work on the principle that any new main-dealer-only part for a >15 year old car is unlikely to be available, unless it shares commonality with later models, then you won’t be disappointed. 
Mechanical parts however should not be an issue via. the aftermarket route. 
Does this point the enthusiastic owner such as yourself to invest in a complete spares car when available? Appreciate space requirements etc., but perhaps needs must at some point. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hey Gareth, yep I'm going to start sourcing most parts to store. 

It just seems the vag group have a better selection for VW than any of their other brands as the cars get older. 

Regarding mechanical components, I've struggled to source the parts I need new which is definitely a first. 

21 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Hey Gareth, yep I'm going to start sourcing most parts to store. 

It just seems the vag group have a better selection for VW than any of their other brands as the cars get older. 

Regarding mechanical components, I've struggled to source the parts I need new which is definitely a first. 

Hi Steve this is how weird it gets, a few years ago through the Alfa Owners club they were seeing if any members had Alfa GTVs that might have taken part in a late sixties alpine rally that some really rich guys wanted to re create using any  cars that had actually done it or the same model car to take part in the re run, the models required appeared droves, Austin Healys MGs Volvos Fiats and Fords, they needed one more car a Honda two seater sports car but they were told there are none left in the world, two weeks before the rally one turned up with some top uk management from Honda whom had convinced the boys in Japan that this was a top flight PR opportunity as back then the Honda came in third, the scrutineers were not having it at first as they stated the rule was the car had to be original and not brand new, Honda argued it was original but had been made from spare parts all over Hondas warehousing in the world, all the part stickers dates tallied up so they had to include it, I am sure they have your sump but can't be bothered to dig it out, me personally I would get a second hand unit maybe try our Kev as if he hasn't got one he will know where one is.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Steve this is how weird it gets, a few years ago through the Alfa Owners club they were seeing if any members had Alfa GTVs that might have taken part in a late sixties alpine rally that some really rich guys wanted to re create using any  cars that had actually done it or the same model car to take part in the re run, the models required appeared droves, Austin Healys MGs Volvos Fiats and Fords, they needed one more car a Honda two seater sports car but they were told there are none left in the world, two weeks before the rally one turned up with some top uk management from Honda whom had convinced the boys in Japan that this was a top flight PR opportunity as back then the Honda came in third, the scrutineers were not having it at first as they stated the rule was the car had to be original and not brand new, Honda argued it was original but had been made from spare parts all over Hondas warehousing in the world, all the part stickers dates tallied up so they had to include it, I am sure they have your sump but can't be bothered to dig it out, me personally I would get a second hand unit maybe try our Kev as if he hasn't got one he will know where one is.

Steve.

Thanks so much Steve, very interesting story. I'm definitely going to source as many parts as possible now. 

• Like 1