Cam chain rattle and crankshaft synch fault codes coming

56Doc

My engine (3.0 v6 diesel) has thrown up a crankshaft (synch?) fault code when it’s Interogated and I’m getting, what seems fairly clearly to be, a cam chain rattle, implying that either the chain has stretched more than the tensioner can handle or the tensioner has/is failing or both, I’m also guessing that a chain issue could cause the crank synch issue.

Has anyone had, or heard of similar issues? And the likely fix/cost🥺

are my assumptions in the right ballpark?

cheers

Dave

Hello Dave,

Chain/ tensioner wear is not uncommon on 8 year old vehicles across a number of marques. 
If this were mine, my main concern would be to get this sorted very urgently to avoid catastrophic failure - sorry about that, but any delay may be regretted. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

No, that’s ok, the rattle has only recently started and only when under higher acceleration but I’m quite sensitive to anything changing (old habit from my engineering days, you get used to looking/listening for anything different!).

so I’m not overly concerned about a catastrophic failure being imminent but yr right it does need sorting & preferably soon.

do you know if these engines are single chains, duplex or triple? Not seen one in bits before.

cheers

Oh, forgot to mention, it’s officially only done 62k miles, is this issue coo on at that mileage? 
although it was a company car for the 1st 2-3 yrs of its life.

Hello Dave, 

I wish I could share your optimism regarding failure not being too imminent. Any degree of chain rattle under any condition should be treated with the greatest respect and urgency in my book, if jumping teeth is to be avoided. 
Your call obviously. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

I’ve had worse noise from chains on various previous engines, including a Cosworth V6 Sierra & a V8 Allroad,  I sold that after finding out the cost of replacing those 4? Chains but it was then sold on by the next 2 buyers over 5 yrs without the chains being changed.

if it was a belt I’d have had it done by now! 
I was an engineer before retiring, we quickly found that chains are very forgiving of a bit of slack in an enclosed guide system, open ones not so much though!😏

Knowing Audi though, I’m assuming there are plastic chain guides that need replacing too? 

Thanks Dave, I’m glad your engineering experience has stood you in good stead. I too am from the school of engineering, but mine points me to respecting that any piece of noisy machinery is trying to tell you something. 
Let’s hope your luck holds out.

Kind regards,

Gareth.