2014 2.0 TDI Timing Belt Replacement Guide

bantamdave21

Hi,

is there dotted anywhere in here a timing belt replacement/instructional guide?

I’ve done the usual YouTube watching but they all appear to me not my engine. Some of the belt layouts seem similar but oil filler at front not rear like mine. I believe from a stick on engine mine is a CJC engine? Not sure how I check also worrying that this stick appears dated 2007….

Ive seen one chap appear to struggle replacing everything and leaving bumper and radiator on and others removed. I think I’ll need to remove for ease as also want to do front oil seal which has been damp all the time I owned the car.

Does anyone have any tips etc? I’ve done stacks of belts over the years but mostly Ford as an ex Ford tech so just looking for a bit of a guide given Haynes don’t seem to exist for a lot of newer cars these days.

Thanks

5EF652FE-76C3-44E6-8059-F44411599F12.jpeg

6 hours ago, bantamdave21 said:

Also need info ref the correct locking kit, none I’ve reviewed seem to mention CJC engine….

Thanks 

Hi most Ford timing belts are a dream to do, [except for the new Transit] where you have to do the wet belt if you have any sense, the guy I use has the universal cam pin kit for Audi but still had to use drill bits to lock out some of the gears as the kit didn't have the right pin for my engine, I swear they do this on purpose to stop people having a go themselves, the pin and locking kit I bought for my 2.0 MK4 Mondeo worked on the 2.0lt and both my 2.2lt models, I think you have to go for TDC and find bits to fit the holes, most of the engines are the same but are given different designations to confuse everybody, DETA,CNHA, CDUD.

Steve.

• Like 1

hi david.i too have the cjc engine and timing belt will need doing sooner than expected as i am loosing a bit of coolant(suspect water pump)any pictures/info from anyone would be appreciated.as you say its finding info on the cjc engine thanks stephen

cjc engine.jpg

1 minute ago, Steve Q said:

Haynes manual should help 🙂

Agreed just didn’t think they were available for the B8 but have since found one. They’re normally by go to step by step for a first one on any car

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ive managed to source one from eBay😁 from experience of doing the aux belt and pulleys i found it easier to take the bumper off as also there is enough room to do the timing/water pump etc as of course its next to the aux and pulleys

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 9:08 AM, alpha omega said:

ive managed to source one from ebay😁 from experience of doing the aux belt and pulleys i found it easier to take the bumper off as also there is enough room to do the timing/water pump etc as of course its next to the aux and pulleys

Good call… I’ve seen a video doing it with radiator and bumper in place but I don’t like the look of the faff (one of my arch liners is knackered also so I can get straight to bolts at one side. Also want/need to do front crank seal as its wet and I think with top cover off I can see a sligth wet edge to the belt so not even attempting with little to no access.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:09 AM, alpha omega said:

hi david,hope you managed to do your timing belt and what tools did you use to lock the timing in place.any pictures best wishes stephen

Hi Stephen - not done it yet. All parts have arrived, including an alternator (I’ve got a whiney noise and I thought if I’m chanigng everything else inclduing aux belt tensioner I’ll chaneg that too then its hopefully good for another 170k miles.

Will let you know how it goes, I bought a locking kit online a little over £10 I think which appears to cover lcoking crank (drops on vottom pulley with belt still in place)

Cheers

• Like 1

hi again david,would you or anyone know if these locking tools would be okay from eBay for my timing.i have asked the chinese person and they have said yes after giving them my reg and it would be sent from the uk.i just wanted to make sure.or could you tell me where online you got your locking kit from and also where you ordered your timing kit from best wishes stephen

20230427_101836.jpg

20230427_101847.jpg

On 4/27/2023 at 10:41 AM, alpha omega said:

hi again david,would you or anyone know if these locking tools would be okay from ebay for my timing.i have asked the chinese person and they have said yes after giving them my reg and it would be sent from the uk.i just wanted to make sure.or could you tell me where online you got your locking kit from and also where you ordered your timing kit from best wishes stephen

20230427_101836.jpg

20230427_101847.jpg

Hiya

no expert pal but certainly appears same as one I bought and had seen on a few videos online. 

24 minutes ago, alpha omega said:

there is this genuine kit on ebay but would you david or anyone know if this would fit my audi avant a4 2.0 tdi cjc engine....ebay item no 234955961932 thanks all

Sorry no idea and don’t know of a resource online to check part numbers…

gates and dayco sets are way cheaper than this tho - although I understand the attraction of genuine parts