A6 c7 heater blowing cold

Gavin70248

Advice needed, 

My A6 has a heating problem, drivers side cold and passenger side hot, I'm thinking the matrix is clogged. Any suggestions on the procedure to unclog without removing matrix .......  I've done a diagnostic and everything thing is coming up as a pass.  Any suggestions are really appreciated 

Gavin.

Hello Gavin,

Heat out of the passenger side logically suggests the heater matrix is allowing hot water through it - unless of course there are two matrixes!  - which is highly doubtful. More likely to be a heater flap control issue. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reply, been busy. The heater matrix was blocked and had to be replaced, all good now. The dealer I bought the car from repaired it for me, free of charge, which probably cost him a fortune as he had to buy matrix from Audi. He did say its something he's going to check on any audi trade-in from now on.  So if anyone is buying private please check this. 

Cheers

Gavin. 

• Like 2

Apologies Gavin, but I’m still trying to get a logical understanding on this. 
Symptoms:- 

Passenger side hot.

Driver side cold. 

You suspected a blocked heater matrix. I countered this suspicion since a blocked matrix cannot feed hot water to one side and not the other, unless there are two matrixes - each feeding one side only.

If there are two, then indeed it makes sense. Does anyone know whether this model is fitted with two independent heater matrixes, each feeding independent sides of the vehicle? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Might not be relevant at all, but a similar problem (heat one side cold the other) on a different car was also caused by a partially blocked matrix. It seems that a partial blockage allows a very low flow that provides a bit of hot water to give heat to one side, but once thats gone the "other" side only has lukewarm/cold water flow, so generates no heat at the vents. Replacing the matrix with a "freeflowing" one solves the problem as both sides get plenty of hot water. Hope that helps, although I accept it might not !!

Thanks Nigel,

So if Gavin had turned the passenger side heater control down to a much lower temperature, he would have had heating on the driver side - ? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.