Engine Start System Fault warning light

Rob.H

Hi all, strange one here….

I blew a fuse on the 12v after using a plug in charger. I didn’t have a fuse diagram at the time, so after switching off the ignition, I checked each fuse in turn by pulling one out one at a time. I eventually found the blown fuse and replaced it. 

when turning in the ignition and starting up the engine, I got an error message on the dash “Engine start system fault.  Please contact workshop”.  

The car, starts runs and drives as normal, so I took it in to the garage who cleared the fault (£65), but didn’t know what it was.  After 10 mins, the fault came back  

I took it to Audi who identified the fault code as:

0005 - Acces/start Authorisation

1128 4 Anti-theft immobiliser reader coil (No signal/communication static)

the fault was cleared again (£140), and off I went into the sunset… only 1 hour later, the fault returned!

I strongly sense this has something to do with me changing the fuse, but I don’t want to keep paying £££ every time to get it cleared, only for it to come back again.

has anyone had this issue, know what it is or knows how to fix it?

I even disconnected the battery, but it came back after 5 mins.

any help appreciated….

Thanks Steve, I tried that.  Audi  hid behind the fact that when they did the diagnostics, they said if it re-appeared then it would need to come in for a more thorough investigation.  They said the £140 was for clearing the fault, not fixing it.  

3 hours ago, Rob.H said:

Hi all, strange one here….

I blew a fuse on the 12v after using a plug in charger. I didn’t have a fuse diagram at the time, so after switching off the ignition, I checked each fuse in turn by pulling one out one at a time. I eventually found the blown fuse and replaced it. 

when turning in the ignition and starting up the engine, I got an error message on the dash “Engine start system fault.  Please contact workshop”.  

The car, starts runs and drives as normal, so I took it in to the garage who cleared the fault (£65), but didn’t know what it was.  After 10 mins, the fault came back  

I took it to Audi who identified the fault code as:

0005 - Acces/start Authorisation

1128 4 Anti-theft immobiliser reader coil (No signal/communication static)

the fault was cleared again (£140), and off I went into the sunset… only 1 hour later, the fault returned!

I strongly sense this has something to do with me changing the fuse, but I don’t want to keep paying £££ every time to get it cleared, only for it to come back again.

has anyone had this issue, know what it is or knows how to fix it?

I even disconnected the battery, but it came back after 5 mins.

any help appreciated….

Hi I strongly suspect that its the reader coil that has had a meltdown when you connected the charger, did you connect it to the battery  directly or the jump posts under the bonnet as direct battery connection of a charger is a big NO,NO on these vehicles.

Steve.

Hi Steve, apologies for the misunderstanding, it was a phone charger plugged into the 12v socket inside the car (used to be the cigarette lighter), not an actual battery charger/jump pack. The accessory I was using was a couple of years old and gave up on me, hence the fuse blowing.  

thanks for the input though. 

12 minutes ago, Rob.H said:

Hi Steve, apologies for the misunderstanding, it was a phone charger plugged into the 12v socket inside the car (used to be the cigarette lighter), not an actual battery charger/jump pack. The accessory I was using was a couple of years old and gave up on me, hence the fuse blowing.  

thanks for the input though. 

Hi I probably didn't read the first post comprehensively, I know how sensitive the electronics are on these cars I have had the same message on my car a few times but it clears itself after a few drive cycles, sort of thinking it might just be a coincidental fault and there is not a day goes by that I regret getting VCDS as I scan the car every month and find loads of one hit codes that when deleted don't ever appear again, I am of the conviction that some of these faults are written in by the software writers to appear at certain milages to make work for the dealers, might be worth consulting an auto electrician with the codes you already have from the IDOS system at Audi, I don't think its anything to do with the replaced fuse, are you sure all the fuses you removed were pushed home properly?.

Steve.

• 11 months later...

Hi guys, I’m having the same issue with my car in terms of the warning message on the dash. Only problem with mine is that sometimes it won’t allow me to start the car, it can take ten minutes before the car finally starts after multiple times of pressing the start button. Any help greatly appreciated.