Audi A5 Convertible Canvas Can Wear be Repaired.?

Mario T

Hi There, 

I recently viewed an A5 convertible that needs a few things. Amongst these when I viewed were 2 noticeable wear marks that happened in the same place around 2 inches from the rear window. It's annoying as the rest of the roof is basically spot on. I have added some photos. It's only the canvas and I'm not convinced it's even through to the rubber shell. Does anybody know if you can spot/patch repair areas and does anybody have any experience of this.? Is it a common fail place and would anybody know why it's done it.?. Your help would be much appreciated. 

Many Thanks

Mario

IMG_20230702_092444.jpg

IMG_20230702_092631.jpg

IMG_20230702_092437.jpg

Hello Mario,

Sorry, I don’t have any experience of common wear spots on this hood, but the general wear line appears to be in a fold where the fabric will rest when the roof is down. I would expect the wear holes to be where there is some sort of bracket or similar has been in contact with it, again when it’s folded down.

Repair? To me, I can only see this being done with a patch. Where would you get material to be anything like the now faded hood, even if you like the idea of a patch? 
It could be me, but the hood material seems rather open texture, and I wonder if it has been given a good couple of blasts with a pressure washer. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 9 months later...
On 7/2/2023 at 12:37 PM, Mario T said:

Hi There, 

I recently viewed an A5 convertible that needs a few things. Amongst these when I viewed were 2 noticeable wear marks that happened in the same place around 2 inches from the rear window. It's annoying as the rest of the roof is basically spot on. I have added some photos. It's only the canvas and I'm not convinced it's even through to the rubber shell. Does anybody know if you can spot/patch repair areas and does anybody have any experience of this.? Is it a common fail place and would anybody know why it's done it.?. Your help would be much appreciated. 

Many Thanks

Mario

IMG_20230702_092444.jpg

IMG_20230702_092631.jpg

IMG_20230702_092437.jpg