Pointless “Driver Assistance” messages

biggsy-boy

Is anyone else getting annoyed by the useless “Driver Assistance” messages that get thrown up from time to time?

For example, last Friday (14 July) I was driving from M20/M25/M11 in heavy rain and heavy traffic. Whilst I was concentrating hard on driving safely, a warning note sounds so I take my eyes off the road to see if it was something important, only to be informed that the was “Limited visibility”!

I can’t conceive of the circumstances that would make that a valuable piece of information that I couldn’t have found out all by myself.

I’ve had an even more ridiculous message during a thunderstorm when the system helpfully told me that because the weather was so bad it couldn’t determine if there was poor visibility or not. Audi say these messages can’t be suppressed except by deactivating the weather function on the MMI.

I’d love to know if other owners are finding this as frustrating as I am.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, biggsy-boy said:

Is anyone else getting annoyed by the useless “Driver Assistance” messages that get thrown up from time to time?

For example, last Friday (14 July) I was driving from M20/M25/M11 in heavy rain and heavy traffic. Whilst I was concentrating hard on driving safely, a warning note sounds so I take my eyes off the road to see if it was something important, only to be informed that the was “Limited visibility”!

I can’t conceive of the circumstances that would make that a valuable piece of information that I couldn’t have found out all by myself.

I’ve had an even more ridiculous message during a thunderstorm when the system helpfully told me that because the weather was so bad it couldn’t determine if there was poor visibility or not. Audi say these messages can’t be suppressed except by deactivating the weather function on the MMI.

I’d love to know if other owners are finding this as frustrating as I am.

Hi like most manufacturers Audi think that most of their customers are brain dead, fortunately most are not and the ones that ignore it anyway are the ones you see stuffed in the concrete centre reservations or up someone else's rear, after twenty years as a cabbie and a lot of motorway driving I have worked out there is no depths to which human stupidity will not plummet, hopefully VCDS will have a way of deactivating this pest soon.

Steve.

These Safety systems are crazy. Lane assistance a prime example. The only decent one is emergency braking when it's stopping you in a genuine situation and not a plastic carrier bag! 

Oh don’t get me started on Lane assistance! It’s wrong way more time than it’s right. Try coming off the M11 southbound onto the M25 toward Dartford. The off slip road is single lane that widens into two with the consequent sudden appearance of a white line dividing the two lanes. The Lane assistance has a total spasm which is exactly what you need in heavy traffic. Totally useless and IMO bordering on dangerous 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There are quite a few occasions when I get the "Take control of the vehicle!" message - usually at times when I am *especially* focussed on doing exactly that!