How to: remove Drivers door card A6 c7

56Doc

Go to solution Solved by 56Doc,

Ok, I know there’s lots of vids on this. However, I’ve already swapped the other 3 door cards (another story, another time!) without any issues but the drivers door card just will not budge.

I’ve released the 3 bolts and ALL the clips, (double, double checked even got the 2 nearest the puddle light out) but something very close to the puddle light is stopping the door card from coming off, can’t get more than about 1/2” movement at the bottom.

I’ve applied more brute force than I’d like and think I’ve already damaged the card along the bottom edge (hopefully just a split, so easily fixable).

ive got about a 1/2” gap to see thru but can’t see anything obvious (can’t much at all tbh!).

anyone got any ideas? (Apart from pull harder🤦🏻‍♂️)

cheers folks

• Solution

Ok, found it! There’s a small shallow square indentation in the lower edge of the door panel that, when pressed upwards, releases a small plastic catch and hey presto, the panel comes loose!

that ‘tag’ was broken on all the other cards, so I thought it would be just the same as all the standard  little pin rivets.

God only knows why Audi put that in there!

And all because I wanted to put blinds in the rear windows for the Grandkids but the cards I had were dark brown, originals were black & brown rear doors with black front ones just looked so odd!

Rear cards went on no issues, 30 min job for the pair. The fronts however! It was compounded by the the brown cards coming from a LHD car, so I had to cut holes for the 2 extra switches in the drivers door (rear door release and interior sensors isolation switch)  & drill a new hole for the alarm LED, make up and fit the 3 extra plastic tabs to hold the door release Switch and cables in place, repair the main plug from the wiring loom and repair the damage done when the cards were removed from the donor car.

pleased with it though, Dark Brown wouldn’t have been my 1st choice but it does look as good as the black, and a lot better than mismatched front & rear cards!

So, after doing all of that. The damn things WERE going on!🤨

Anyway, next job is install the new heated, ventilated fronts seats (with massage function apparently) then get it booked in to Audi Retrofits in London for the electrical & electronics update to get the seats fully working. Possibly go for Car play/ android auto install at the same time. Not sure on that bit yet.

9 hours ago, 56Doc said:

Anyway, next job is install the new heated, ventilated fronts seats (with massage function apparently) then get it booked in to Audi Retrofits in London for the electrical & electronics update to get the seats fully working. Possibly go for Car play/ android auto install at the same time. Not sure on that bit yet.

Good call, other members have used them for retrofits and been happy with the results. If you want a comparison members have also used autologics. 

• 5 months later...

Many issues later, I’m close to being able to think about the seats again. (Cam chains, in ‘V’ water leak, engine & gearbox services, oil leak from warped rocker cover (£5k), then it was the Xmas tree lights on the dash from the failed steering rack, another £2k+!  a  seized rear wiper motor (Audi designed crap, gearbox so corroded and so little grease,) also wiper arm was completely fused to the motor spindle so resorted to drilling it out and replacing both (another £150 for the bits)

Got all that from fixed to find water in bath front footwells from the sunroof drains, drains are clear (ran both water & a cleaning (curtain rod) through them, so now I have to figure out how to remove the door aperture trim to get at the drain pipe in the A pillar to fix those leaks!

Any advice on that will be gratefully received!

there’s obviously a join in the pipe that is not sealed very well, very, very annoying!