Audi Q3 doors look strange

Thorn

Hello,

I’m in the process of buying a used 2020 Audi Q3 45tfsi quattro. But it’s from an auction and the photos they provide make me a bit paranoid. They are not great so it’s hard to make out what exactly is wrong but there seems to be a line going along the whole outside part of the doors. The car is suppose to be accident-free but even the front bumper isn’t sitting flush on one side. So I thought I’ll ask for help here if anyone has seen this on a q3 before. I’m worried if those are perhaps aftermarket doors and therefor the car has been crashed before. I’m attaching couple photos to show what I mean. Thanks guys.

Thorn

PHOTO-2023-11-27-16-00-05.jpeg

PHOTO-2023-11-27-16-00-06.jpeg

Yeah, I checked the cars history and everything seems fine. I understand the bumper could have one of the little plastic hooks broken, which would explain why it’s not flush. But I’m more worried about the doors I haven never seen that on another car. 

Hello Samanuel,

Apologies for the poor response,

I’m struggling to fully understand exactly what you are referring to - the areas you have highlighted appear to draw attention to the door shut gaps, but your text talks about a line going through the whole outside part of the doors.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi,

As Gareth mentioned, you've highlighted the door shut gaps.  They seem to be consistent spacing, and i'm just wondering if someone has added those finger protector things?

Anyway, my very first thought when you asked the question is, if you are not sure, don't go for it.  And you haven't even viewed the car in person, so that is another risk.  Nothing beats looking at the car yourself, but not only that, smelling the car (previous owner smoker), listening to the engine run, etc.

A 2020 Q3 at auction??  Question marks, but could be genuine reason.

Thanks, Joe

• Like 1

Thanks for the response guys. Yeah, I meant the strip along the door shut gaps. The spacing there seems fine but that “see through” thin strap that goes along seems strange to me. Could it be the finger protector thing as mentioned? I’ve never seen such thing before. 
I know it’s not ideal to buy over an auction as it’s always much safer to be able to see the car in person but over here in the country I’m residing right now there aren’t that many q3 45tfsi models available.

It seems you are referring to the ‘slide-on?) door edge protectors then Samanuel. 
If so, they appear to be just that, and probably something that an owner has added. 
Apologies, but I cannot add anything else if that is what you are referring to. 
Are you able to see the service history and history of ownership before bidding? 
Good luck with your proposed purchase. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I’ve marked one last time the area I meant. Apologies for my very uneven drawing. Didn’t know people stick some door edge protectors like this on their doors. I’ve only seen people put a strip like this on the front hood of the car (right above the grill). I was able to check the cars service history, mileage and accident history (shouldn’t have had any) aswell as ownership history. Everything seems to be fine. 

IMG_5655.jpeg

Thanks Sam - repeating :- It appears ( from the photo) that it’s an owner- added door protection strip and should not be the cause of any undue concern. 
Glad you have done on your homework and are otherwise happy with what that has provided you with. 
The point that would concern me (as has been mentioned) is why this 3 year old vehicle has been sentenced to auction rather than being retained for retail -? 
Pardon my ignorance but where are you based, and do you have access to the last owner’s contact details? 
Good luck with it all. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Sorry for the late reply Gareth. I’m based in czech republic at the moment. The car is in Germany where the auction is. It’s an auction where only car dealers can purchase the cars, so I think that’s where many of them buy the cars you then see being sold in the dealership but for a higher price. 
Unfortunately I don’t have the previous owners contact details. I’m uploading couple more photos of the car where I also thought it was strangely too dirty (i was worried if it wasn’t flooded). I’m still undecided. I understand in these auctions they don’t bother cleaning the cars up which they leave to the dealers that buy them but the engine bay seems really dirty. But then the price has become very good since they drop it each auction it doesn’t sell. And since everyone can only check the car from the photos and not in person maybe they are all worried just as I am. 

IMG_5571.jpeg

IMG_5574.jpeg

Thanks Samanuel, 

So this vehicle is at what we call a ‘closed auction’, where you have to be a registered trader who has an active account with the auction house, to be able to buy. 
Are you a registered trader? 
The U.K. auction houses generally have a valeting arrangement with dealers or fleet operators, so that any not-well-presented vehicles are valeted before they are actually auctioned - not so in Germany? 
If I’ve got this right, this vehicle has already been through (a couple of times?) but must have failed to reach its reserve, or it’s condition (including mechanical) has been deemed to render it ‘not good value for money’.  
As I see it, not-well-presented, but otherwise sound cars often sell well, at the right price, since traders see the potential profit via. presenting them to their best. 
You are coming over strongly Samanuel as being very twitchy about this example, and if I was in your situation, I would be passing it by, unless the price makes it so attractive, that you can afford to take a chance. 
No offence meant, but just saying it as it comes over, your twitchiness suggests you are not the sort of person who would normally buy from a no-viewing auction, and I wonder if you are extending your luck a little too far here -? 
Anyway Samanuel, good luck with whatever you decide to do. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I apologise if I come across twitchy. I’ve been shopping for a Q3 for my wife for past 2 months so I guess I’m getting a little over it .). 
I am not a car dealer but my uncle who lives in Germany is and he is helping me find one. So he always sends me pictures and information of Q3’s he finds in auctions. This car has been tested as all cars have to and they say it’s fine and everything works as it should. Normally the cars I’ve seen seem to be cleaner so I don’t know why they didn’t bother with this one. They just pointed out the gab between the front bumper and the rest of the car’s body and then some scratches on the paint. But otherwise it’s suppose to be ok. 
At the beginning before I got paranoid with this car I actually offered them almost 2000 euro more then what they are offering my uncle now to sell for. I guess their reserve was much higher and they thought they’ll sell it for more. 
Again thank you for the help Gareth and hope you have a lovely day. 

Edited by Thorn

Many thanks Samanuel,

No offence meant on the twitchy comment, and I well understand you are a private buyer dipping your toes into a trader world, yet understandably want things to be as right as it would be if you bought it off a dealer forecourt. Apologies, but it may be an unrealistic aim. 
Accurate door gaps and non-cleaned vehicles are not what generally concern trade buyers - but money does, and it seems that this vehicle isn’t attractive enough to the trade at the price the seller is expecting to get for it. I think that about sums it up Samanuel. So your uncle valued it at x€ and you were prepared to pay €2000 above that, and it was rejected. 
We are trying to offer you as much independent advice as we can, but it might be worth asking your uncle for his more experienced view - would he buy it, and more importantly, would he recommend you to buy it? 
If they accepted your +€2000, how would that price compare with a similar example on a forecourt? 
I can understand your concern about about a couple of aspects, but it might be worth giving some thought to the fact that you really want to buy it, and are looking for some support for that view. 
Since this has regrettably become a one to one exchange, it really would be great to have some additional views/comments for you to consider. 
I genuinely wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Come on folks, let’s have some other views apart from mine. 

Doesn’t seem like there are many people here that would have an idea on whether this car would be fine or not. 
I am just mainly worried if it could’ve been flooded (based on the amount of dirt everywhere incl. engine bay). As then i’d be stuck with a damaged car that will never be truly ok. Otherwise I don’t mind if it has some scratches, dints etc. I live in the centre of the city and unfortunately it’s hard not to expect some scratches and dints caused by cars parking around you. So if that’s all it is, then I’m happy. But like shown in one of the photos I posted before, I’m not sure if for example the loose plastic thing on the inside part of the right rear door  would happen naturally to a car less then 4 years old? As well as the engine bay being so dirty. My current car is actually 4 years old, parked outside all it’s life and the engine bay us actually pretty clean without me every cleaning it. 
So yeah, like I sad I don’t mind wear and tear as long as it’s not some serious problem. My uncle told me he thinks should be fine as he has bought some cars from this auction company before and never had a problem with them. Perhaps I’m just paranoid. 

IMG_5573.jpeg

PHOTO-2023-11-27-16-00-04.jpeg

Edited by Thorn

Hello Samanuel,

Paranoid would be too strong a word for me, but (understandably?)  over-cautious might be a much better description.

From our side, we can’t be expected to be better able to judge this ‘totally unknown’ car more effectively than you or your uncle can, so regrettably, I’m coming to the conclusion that there is little else I can add in a situation where you are buying this car blind. 
What you haven’t answered is, if you bought this car ( sight unseen) at your offer price, how much cheaper would it be than buying a similar one where you can inspect it? 
Appreciate this is a closed auction, but can’t your motor trader uncle view the car for you? 
I’m struggling here Samanuel, since I feel you are no closer to deciding whether to buy it than when this debate started. 

If I can do any more you in terms of advice and suggested question asking then I’m really at a loss to know what it is I can do or say.

Anyone else got any ideas? Please!! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

My personal view, is that if you're looking at car auctions then are you looking for the new Q5 on the cheap? 

If so as such, you'll either have to buy something that's below your expectations or save up more for the car you want. 

I feel that although the forum has tried to be constructive here, no one can advise whether this car would be fine or not - it’s a totally unreasonable expectation. 
Shame Samanuel wasn’t able to share with us how the ‘blind’ price he needs to pay compares with the retail average, so that he, and forum members can better understand the risk being taken here. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

sorry for not replying for so long. The price was cheaper around 4000euro then if I was to buy the car from a dealer. 
But I didn’t end up buying it. The dirt everywhere and space between the bumper and rest of the body just seemed too risky for me. 

But thanks for all the help and hope you guys have a lovely new year. 

T.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thorn said:

Hello,

sorry for not replying for so long. The price was cheaper around 4000euro then if I was to buy the car from a dealer. 
But I didn’t end up buying it. The dirt everywhere and space between the bumper and rest of the body just seemed too risky for me. 

But thanks for all the help and hope you guys have a lovely new year. 

T.

Happy new year. No probs at all 

Hi Sam

I bought a new 21 plate Q3 for my Wife sorry for delay but I have been going through photos and checking your pictures out . The plastic additions to the car look like Edge protectors it was the panel gaps that caught my eye as mine was not like that and the one that you were offered looked like it was folding in half IMG_0072.thumb.png.3856ad72a292f9f950101e3c45bdbf60.png

• Like 1