AUDI A6 AVANT (19 plate) REAR SEATBELTS CHIME DEACTIVATION.

Matt9191

Go to solution Solved by Steve Q,

Just bought my Audi A6 Avant C8 (19 plate), need help as every time somebody seats in the back the seatbelts chime keeps beeping loud and louder. Stops after while and soonest one of passengers moves it will start beeping again. 

my question is how do I permanently deactivate the seatbelts chime for back row ? 

thanks for help

3 hours ago, Matt9191 said:

everything is fine when seatbelts are fasten. But i want to deactivate the chime as not all passengers like to fasten their seatbelts in the back. 

You want to disable one of the most important safety features?

Sorry Matt, but as I understand it, you as the driver, have the responsibility to ensure all rear seat passengers are wearing their correctly connected seat belts. 
As Gary says ….

As much as you may not like it that your rear seat passengers have to belt up, you do not have a choice in the matter, and you and they, have to comply with the law. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Sorry Matt, but as I understand it, you as the driver, have the responsibility to ensure all rear seat passengers are wearing their correctly connected seat belts. 
As Gary says ….

As much as you may not like it that your rear seat passengers have to belt up, you do not have a choice in the matter, and you and they, have to comply with the law. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I understand the law and everything related to it but in the past I had Audi A7 (65plate) and A4 (66 plate) and never had problem with seatbelts like this before. 
people who sat in back row in my previous car had option to buckle up or not, when they did not i only had notification on dash that they not fastened, now the bleep is annoying as fu**. 

12 minutes ago, Matt9191 said:

I understand the law and everything related to it but in the past I had Audi A7 (65plate) and A4 (66 plate) and never had problem with seatbelts like this before. 
people who sat in back row in my previous car had option to buckle up or not, when they did not i only had notification on dash that they not fastened, now the bleep is annoying as fu**. 

It’s meant to be annoying as f***, that’s the point!!

• Like 1

Hello Matt,

I think we need to box this up as a solution.

Since you know the law, it goes without saying (but unfortunately needs to be said), that you have a duty of care for your passengers. You will also know that any passenger found not to be wearing a belt, can be liable for an on the spot fine of £100, or I believe £500? if taken to court. 
You, for your part get away with just having to listen to a seat belt warning, if you don’t ensure you’re ( possibly flying!) rear seat passengers done use the belt they are meant to use! 

Audi are trying to look after you and your passengers whether you like it or not - and you make it clear you don’t! but…..

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Solution

You will find it is an offence for the driver or any passenger to not wear a seatbelt in any country in western Europe. On top of that the driver gets the fine for each passenger not wearing a belt. 

Not only that, I doubt you'll find a company that will deactivate the chime as I believe it's an offence to tamper with safety systems regarding seatbelts. 

Furthermore, if these systems are found to be tampered with then your MOT and insurance is void. 

I just can't understand why passengers wouldnt want to wear a seatbelt, the world as moved on since the 1950s/60s & 70s. 

I'd advise your passengers to watch videos on what happens when they don't wear a seatbelt. Needless to say, the one sat behind you can ultimately kill you as they hit the back of your seat! 

There is a really good modification you can do. Tell said passenger whom is not buckled in to get out and walk or buckle up.

Works really well, by far the most cheapest modification you can do. 

Obviously there are some drawbacks to any modification, they might not be your mate leaving them roadside. However, on the plus side should you crash the un-buckled passenger(s) won’t go through your windscreen or at the very least end up face down in your crotch when braking hard.

Moderator(s), is it not worth closing this thread on legal grounds?

Thanks Statson,

I believe that everything that has been said on this forum is sufficient to alert the original poster to the fact that his request should not be progressed. 
As such there is little that the forum can, or indeed should add, and it’s on that basis that I closed the post. 
Sorry Stason, but personally I do not understand ‘….not worth closing this thread on legal grounds’, but we are open to receive your views on why you thing it shouldn’t. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I meant to close/lock the thread. Just my opinion below.

Discussing or actively sharing information that breaks a law is by some form considered to be aiding and abetting someone whom is considering or intentionally intending to break a legal requirement.  Therefore closing the thread allows for moderators to prevent this being continued or later added to. (Easy policing). 

call my view draconian but I used to moderate a forum which I shall not disclose and a a similar thread involving modifications to a road legal car, thus making it illegal unfortunately resulted in the death of a member (dangerous driving was also a contributing factor).

The parents of the young man alleged to the police that the ‘forum’ promoted this modification along with an agenda of street racing illegal activities. Sorry to say this was an grossly inaccurate view and seemed to me at the time and still now the parents not accepting their sons own accountability for being both stupid and reckless before his demise.

anyways….The owner of the forum was cautioned by police and asked to remove all content (not just this particular thread posted) having found multiple other similar ‘how to…’ threads which were considered to be endangering or a nuisance to other motorist’s or members of the public. 

the sad part was most of the how to threads were actually useful information and whilst illegal were not safety related or grossly affected the safety or statute laws ruining it for everyone else.

soon as someone posts something and it’s not removed or locked its there for Google search to find and before long trouble soon follows ruining it for everyone else whom are law abiding and everyone in between. 

Thanks Stason, 

I think your example clearly demonstrates the disadvantages of protracted dialogue in such cases, and my (in caps - as opposed to a forum decision) to mark the thread as ‘solution’, which I would think the original poster Matt understands, but is nonetheless disappointed with, I guess. 

Re. ‘Closing the thread’ - the fact that you have been able to post, even though the ‘solution’ has been achieved Stason, clearly disproves any impression that the thread is actually closed to additional comments - no gagging here! 

From my side I feel satisfied that the forum has provide adequate information to the point of being marked as solution, and all comments to that point are clear. 

What I would suggest is that you now create a new and independent thread based on your concerns - that thread being hypothetical, and not attached to any specific case - as this one is. 

If you do that, the free speech and opinion will be demonstrated, by responses against that thread.

Just Incase there is any confusion, although the thread was marked as ‘solution’ after Steve’s post, I actually marked it as solution - not Steve. I had full intention of doing that before Steve’s wrote his  last post. 

Would the other moderators please offer comments in agreement or disagreement with my actions, and with my response to Stason. 
Trusting this will aid boxing it up, or progressing it. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

As I see the matter the marked solution is the only sensible response from forum staff to the question, even if it is not what Matt wanted to hear. We can not condone any illegal modification.

That is not to say the thread should be closed for legal reasons. People have a right to express their opinions in a civilised manner, no matter how foolish they may be. However if the thread descends into abuse that would be good grounds for closing it, and I will have no hesitation in doing so if necessary.

Should anybody really wish to advise Matt on how to achieve his aim it would be better done privately rather than publicly on this forum.