Driver Side compartment leak.

Go to solution Solved by DanHemingway,

Hi,

Has anyone had any issues with water leaking into the side compartment behind the drives rear light? 

When I open it up there looks to be water pooling in there after heavy rain. 

Thanks

Edited by DanHemingway

It's the compartment behind the headlight, where the pack of tools are stored, In the boot to the right. It's not the headlight, my left headlight was leaking but I've replaced that one so I know it isn't the right headlight. I'll get a photo when I go out next. 

Thanks Dan, but regrettably I’m of an age where confusion ‘improves’ with age! 
When you say headlight (on front of car), you do mean rear light don’t you-? 
Rather than first trying to use any form of ‘goo’, it would be worth visiting the dealer’s Parts Dept. and seeing if you can buy a new (foam rubber) seal, on the basis of trying the  proper way first. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Dan. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Posted (edited)

Yeah it's the rear drivers outer light, well I'm assuming that's where it's leaking, I have read it could also be from the fuel cap. 

Edited by DanHemingway
  • Like 1

Blinking heck Dan, you are confusing the already confused here - all in good humour! I’m quite capable of confusing myself, without outside intervention! 
So we will work forward with rear light, and not refer to headlight from now on. 
You’ll be given a strange look at the dealers if you ask for a headlight seal. 
Great. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I replaced the left inner light that sits on the boot and that sorted the boot lid leak. It's now leaking on the drivers side outer light but I don't know that for a fact it may not be the light, the water is sat in the compartment behind the outer drivers light. 

I am even more confused. Are we now discussing a leak into the boot rather than a light fitting?

For the sake of clarity the lights on a car comprise two headlights at the front, four sidelights (two front, two rear,) four indicator lights (two front, two rear,) two brake or stop lights at the rear, and one or two reversing lights at the rear. Please remember we can not see what you are talking about so it's important to use the right words to describe the problem.

I've take a photo above of where the water is leaking in. It's behind the rear light in the compartment where the water is pooling, I didnt say it was the light. I know what a light is and what it comprises of, I was asking if anyone had any issues with water leaking in the same location. 

3 hours ago, DanHemingway said:

I've take a photo above of where the water is leaking in. It's behind the rear light in the compartment where the water is pooling, I didnt say it was the light. I know what a light is and what it comprises of, I was asking if anyone had any issues with water leaking in the same location. 

Hi you may have said leak behind the light but you did initially call it a headlight, I am sure you know what a light is but you can see Cliff and Gareths confusion from the earlier posts, we all know what a light is and what end each one goes, headlight front, tail light rear.

Does anyone know if there is a seal on the outer rear tail light? I know there is on the inner light on the boot but can't seem to see one on the outer one. 

Also is sealing it with silicone a good idea as Ill probably need to change a bulb at some point and I'll need to remove the light again. 

Hello Dan, 
Rear, seal or no seal?
Best way to find out with your particular model is to visit your local dealer’s Parts Dept. ( I wouldn’t do this on the phone), and enquire there. 
Perhaps you could let us know the outcome. 

If not, and silicone? I wouldn’t if it were mine. 

Perhaps some low adhesion, not hardening mastic-? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Solution

Looks like I've solved it, it was the small grille behind the rear bumper just below the light, not sure what they're officially called, the seal around it had come loose.