S3 mag ride shocks

Sean-f

Hi all, my wife's S3 needs a rear shock part number 8j0513025f I've been told by Audi Iwe should also replace the electronic control cap (part number 8p0512133, the shock is £487:20 and the cap is £166:20 £650 for parts alone seems a little expensive do I gmhave any other options or am I stuck with these prices?

Thanks in advance, 

Welcome Sean,

Tap the registration number into Parts in Motion’s website, and they should come up with some aftermarket ones from which to choose. Just come back to us if you have any difficulty with a choice. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you Gareth, I've searched for motion and found motion control suspension they seem to be race applications and I can not find anywhere to search by reg, am I looking at the correct place?

Thanks for your help and speedy response 👍 

Thanks Sean,

The company - ‘Parts in Motion’ - is a motor factor company based in Exeter, who supplies general car parts to the motor trade and public. Should be easily found via. a Google search. 
They are always my first port of call for all replacement components. 
If you do want to spend the money on genuine Audi parts (oh blinking heck prices!) then you could try Audi Parts Direct at Cardiff - part of Mon Motors, once Cardiff Audi. 
They often offer a bit of a discount, but be prepared that discounts are low, and I was recently told that even bone fide account holders are sometimes only getting around 7.5%. 
Let us know how you get on with your search this time Sean. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Garath, I've just checked parts in motion and they have a pair but £922:59 😮‍💨, I think if I can not find a alternative I'm going to have to go to Audi 🤮

2 hours ago, Sean-f said:

Hi Garath, I've just checked parts in motion and they have a pair but £922:59 😮‍💨, I think if I can not find a alternative I'm going to have to go to Audi 🤮

Hi try Monroe catalogue they were oe suppliers.

Steve.

3 hours ago, Sean-f said:

Hi have you tried eBay with that part number they have loads of them.

• Like 1

Hello Sean,

More possible good sources for you via. Steve. Just to clarify - Audi = £650, P in M = £922 a pair or £466 each, in comparison with Audi’s £650 each. 
I’m sure you will find what you want via. the alternative leads you have been given.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks I have just reached out to Monroe and await their response, 

Tried eBay but no luck as yet lots come up when searching the part number but after further investigation they are not mostly they don't allow for the electronic control but I'm still searching I have been given a further 4 part numbers that are the exact same shocker that Audi fitted to other cars so I'm going to try to search them out too,

I did speak to a breaker yesterday and he said he had broken over 500 8p s3 and only seen mad ride 3 or 4 times so must be quite a rear option to have ¿

8 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Sean,

More possible good sources for you via. Steve. Just to clarify - Audi = £650, P in M = £922 a pair or £466 each, in comparison with Audi’s £650 each. 
I’m sure you will find what you want via. the alternative leads you have been given.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

The audi price included the electronic control cap (8p0512133) at around £165 incl vat, parts in motion were shocks only and only available in a pair, I'm still searching and will keep you updated, 

Thanks for everyone's help

8 hours ago, Sean-f said:

The audi price included the electronic control cap (8p0512133) at around £165 incl vat, parts in motion were shocks only and only available in a pair, I'm still searching and will keep you updated, 

Thanks for everyone's help

Hi on the other hand you could just try converting it to standard shocks if you only buy one side thats a no,no as shockers are always replaced in pairs, I found shocks on eBay that came with the caps for far less than the price for just one, standard shocks give you the option of Bilstein, Monroe, Sachs which are all the same if not better. Mag ride is a gimmick that sounds wonderful in theory but its only an electrical current passed into the oil which makes the metal floating in the oil bond so it gives the relief valve a far greater volume to deal with therefore stiffening the flow, Monotube shocks are far better as they are gas over oil and give more progressive damping and better tyre contact, can't beat a bit of Bilstein.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your help I have now found a replacement from a breakers had roughly same milage about 2000 different so I'm having that nailed on but and going to try to obtain a full set and have all 4 refurbished in Poland as my wife really wants to keep the car longterm