Worry about engine light showing on potential A3 buy

sl4ck3r

Hi, wonder if anyone could tell me the potential risk of buying a Audi A3 3.2 quattro with an engine light showing, I haven't viewed the car yet and wondered if It's  even worth viewing the vehicle.

Many thanks.

Depends on how far the car is from you and what attracts you to that particular car as opposed to other examples of the same model. 

OK, say engine light on but car is in prime example of first class order in all other respects. My suggestion :- obtain the registration number and run an MOT history to check for any previous emission issues etc. Agree to view the car ( private or trade sale?) but obtain agreement to have the car plugged into a diagnostic check before you decide. You will need to coordinate this in the seller's area. If the car is what you want in all other respects and you have an estimate for rectifying the fault and it's all then within budget and a fair price then you can decide if it is what you want.

Alternative would be to look for another example which does not have the light on - but of course there may be other faults which lights don't point you to!

If I was buying I would ensure I have the knowledge to thoroughly inspect the vehicle and if not, buy in that expertise by paying someone to come with you.

Not sure if this helps.

Goid luck with whatever you buy.

Point taken Clifford, but if  my logic is followed, I cannot see that much of a gamble about it. It will not resort to "could be x or y", but a fault code will point you in the right direction and an estimated cost made. Seems quite simple to me - decision is made when knowelgeable of the facts, not ifs and maybes. 

Question remains :- to view or not to view. Only Stephen can decide that, and he seems to have gone quiet on the subject! 

Kind regards,

Gareth

• Like 1