Car sometimes wont select 5th

Hi all... I'm at loose ends I've got a Audi a3 1.6 53 plate. Was driving to work this morning when my car wouldn't select 5th, Iit did the same thing yesterday but a few mikes down the road it found it again and was fine. It doesn't crunch or grind at all, any help would be appreciated.

IMAG0704.jpg

Hi Sam...welcome to the Forum

Had a similar problem recently with an Alfa gearbox (Vauxhall gearbox used)....could not find anything wrong with the external selector cables and turned out to be an internal fault but not synchros which usually result in crunching gears when trying to select.

Let us know how it progresses, if it gets worse or even completely disappears.

Cheers   Trevor

Hello Sam,

5th gear problems can be associated with the gearbox itself rather than selectors or linkages etc. On some makes it is possible to effect repsire to 5th gear issues without actually removing the box - dealt with by removing the end cover. 

What part of Wales are you?

You have "John the Box" near Swansea who has a good reputation. Not sure the actual trading name but should be Googleable under gearbox repairs Swansea.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1