Graham's V6 A3

zjonesg

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new boy on the block with a 3.2 V6 Audi A3, Manual. I'm confused by the quoted power outputs of my engine: Audi quotes 250PS (247BHP) but my handbook (Manufacturer's) states : chassis, engine, body, trim, Gbox and a PS of 279!!!?  Aside from putting it on a rolling road, has anyone heard of a 3.2 279PS Audi A3? it sounds like the Golf variant output but did they put that engine in the A3 and what's the difference mechanically in the engine?

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham....welcome to the Forum

This is what I found for the 3.2 engine

Power output 235–250 PS (173–184 kW; 232–247 hp)

From Wikipedia

In 2001, the VR6 was enlarged to 3.2 litres, to create a limited-production, high-performance, 168 kilowatts (228 PS; 225 bhp) version of the New Beetle called Beetle RSi. The Beetle RSi was the first production vehicle to use the 3.2 litre 24-valve VR6 engine.[citation needed] This engine was later used in the Mk4 Golf R32, and was also introduced in the original Audi TT. According to Volkswagen Group, these variants produced 184 kilowatts (250 PS; 247 bhp) in TT trim (engine ID code: BHE), and 177 kilowatts (241 PS; 237 bhp) in R32 trim (engine ID code: BFH/BML).

The then range-topping 3.2-litre VR6 was later used in the current Audi A3 and the Mk5 Golf R32.

In 2005, the European market version of Volkswagen's sixth generation Passat, now with a transverse engine layout, went on sale with a revised version of the 3.2-litre VR6 as its top-spec engine. For North America, the Passat received a new 3.6-litre VR6 with a narrower 10.6 degree cylinder angle, producing 206 kilowatts (280 PS; 276 bhp). These revised 3.2 and 3.6 feature Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI). This new 3.2 FSI VR6 develops 184 kilowatts (250 PS; 247 bhp) at 6,250 rpm, and 330 newton metres(243 lbf·ft)at 3,000 rpm.[8] The introduction of the Passat VR6 also marked the first time a VR6 powered vehicle was made available in North America before Europe.

So unless your engine was destined for the American market and ended up in your car then I suspect it is 250PS.

Cheers   Trevor