Brake kits

Philtommon

Good afternoon everyone, I'm new to the forum, but looking forward to getting involved. My practical knowledge of cars is not at a high level, but I'm an enthusiastic newbie!!

could someone please help me with ideas on the best brake kit upgrades for a 3.0tdi A4 avant 2006???

i intend to keep the car for a long time, so I'm not looking for a cheap fix, but I can't afford to spend millions either.

any help will be greatly appreciated 

philip

Hello Philip, 

Bridgend eh - very, very close to home for me. Quite rightly, Trevor normally welcomes you to the fold, and although I haven't been on here as long as a year yet, I find the help offered to be very worthwhile. 

My line with your brakes would be to ask if you have any reason to think that the brakes are currently not as good as you would like them to be, or if perhaps you enjoy a more enthusiastic style of driving and would welcome some improvement over standard?  My experience with the A3 brakes is that in standard form they are better than most comparable cars, but ours is fitted with genuine Audi discs and pads. The reason for this is that at the first change of pads we used some aftermarket ones from our local motor factors. Cheap they were, but we changed back to Audi pads within a couple of months and restored the original confident braking. Chalk and cheese!

Where I'm getting to Philip is whether you know if you have genuine or at least quality brand discs and pads fitted now. If not, then replacing with such may give you the improved braking you want. If indeed you are interested in enhanced performance braking then it could be a different approach and no doubt you will be considering larger discs etc. at not inconsiderable on cost. If you are departing from genuine VAG parts then perhaps worth considering the likes of Brembo or some of the more exotic EBC variants. There are some once well respected brand names that I would avoid, but that is a personal opinion of course. 

Perhaps you could give us a bit more on the reason why bits and I'm sure someone will help.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hi Gareth, I will have more information next week about the brakes, but a visual inspection of the front discs show considerable wear, and the pads are low....so I'm thinking why not upgrade?? If the use of VAG brake kits are the best option then I will use them. The car is 10 years old, and if the previous owner has been a little neglectful, the onus is on me to put things right.

i am also looking to upgrade to a longlife exhaust system, and I will be looking to increase the power output, so I'm thinking an upgrade to the brakes will also be necessary.

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it.

phil

Hi Philip...welcome to the Forum

Once again, I find myself completely agreeing with Magnet, who's words are indeed pearls of wisdom....buy cheap, buy twice!

One other consideration for upgrading brakes is to switch to braided steel hoses (Goodridge) which will enhance the pedal pressure (less swelling of the hoses, opposed to standard rubber ones) and producing a firmer pedal. Usually around £50 for a complete set.

Keep us updated with your progress

Cheers  Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Phil. You are referring to an A4 so my experience with A3 brakes may not be relevant, however my brakes are stupidly fierce (even after fitting new pukka Audi discs and pads all round,) and I would love to downgrade them for gentler more refined control.

Well Clifford, I think Philip was referring to improving his brakes, and that is why I asked if he knew what pads etc were currently fitted since my experience with the A3 was that they were more than adequate as standard - to say the least.

Of course, opinions and personal preferences differ, but stretching back to a time I had hair!, I haven't previously come across anyone who wants to downgrade their braking efficiency. 

I drive a number of cars from pre war to let's say prestige, and I find myself fairly quickly adjusting to the Audi's required brake pedal pressure and certainly would not wish to downgrade them.

Anyway Clifford, as I say, only a personal opinion.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1