1.9 tdi turbo keeps cutting out

Rhys A4 3.0

Hi  my dads just bought a 2001 a6 estate 1.9tdi and the turbo keeps cutting out . If you switch the ignition off then on again it kicks back in , it seems to do it as you hit a slight incline. Its  not putting a engine fault light up so we are abut stuck , anybody had this problem ??? 

Cheers 

Hi Rhys

Have you had it scanned for fault codes? that would be your best bet.

22 minutes ago, Rhys A4 3.0 said:

If you switch the ignition off then on again it kicks back in

:no:Tell him not to do this as it will/could worsen the problem:no:, but this sounds like a case of limp mode, is it when your dad does long journeys? but this could mean a new turbo but before doing anything, your dads first priority would be to have a diagnostic on it. Also is it rough on idle at all? 

keep us updated on how it goes

Regards

Bradley

As Brad-B5 has mentioned....it is dropping into Limp Home running mode.

This is normally when the Turbo variable vanes are gummed up with carbon and moving freely when on boost.

The usual method is to clean them with chemicals....there are plenty of posts on this forum relating to cleaning turbo's.

I would try that first and save a fortune if it does work

• Like 1

what do you mean by cutting out? that to me means the engine goes off and you have to re-start. if its doing that then it isn't limp mode.

start with the obvious, diesel filter and air filter. then, check the fuel system, i.e. the strainer in the tank could be getting blocked, pull it out and check. beyond that its fault scanning time. just because there is no MIL doesn't mean it hasn't thrown a fault. 

1 hour ago, rbdazza said:

what do you mean by cutting out? that to me means the engine goes off and you have to re-start. if its doing that then it isn't limp mode.

ECU then? 

I had this and my turbo (blades can't remember the name) was wobbling, which resulted in me having a pressure leak fault code come up, got told it was limp mode and cases of turning it off and on again resulted in a short term fix.

You should never keep doing it as it will get worse because you're "shocking" the turbo

Regards

Bradley

13 hours ago, Rhys A4 3.0 said:

By cutting out I mean the turbo dies and the car won't have any power until he turns the car off then on again , will it still find faults with out light being on ? 

does the car still drive at all when it cuts out, even with no guts?

if so go with Trevor's suggestion...

remove the EGR pipe from the manifold, get a can of mr muscle and a length of 3/4mm tube. put the tube in the nozzle , put the other end of the tube into the manifold and work it down towards the turbo. spray the mr muscle in, loads of it and pump the actuator. if it feels hard to pump then thats your problem, keep pumping it even when your thumb feels like it will drop off until it is nice and loose. 

I've heard a lot of good things about Mr muscle fixing turbo issues (due to sludge and blockages) go with Darren's suggestion and report back to us :)