buying 2012 A5 sportback tecknik anything to look out for? help with error code

cypher007

anything I need to watch out for?

ive put my VCDS cable on it and there is an error on the steering assist. but it was about 2 months ago and flagged as intermittent priority 6.

it seems to drive well enough and I wonder if the code is because the battery has run flat at some point?

also I checked the vin number and it seems it has had its ecu updated to fix the emissions scandal. what negative effects will this produce? as I did notice some almost as if it was going to stall episodes when stopping at junctions, you could feel the rpm dropping.

the only error was this:

Address 44: Steering Assist (J500) Labels: 8K0-909-144.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 909 144 F HW: 8K0 909 144 B
Component: RCEPS H37 0507
Revision: 00001000 Serial number: 0002697590
Coding: 100000000001
Shop #: WSC 00976 210 89512
ASAM Dataset: EV_RCEPSAU48X 008014
ROD: EV_RCEPSAU48X_008.rod
VCID: 34677AF59FEAFCE13D-8060

1 Fault Found:
2305 - Function Restriction due to Start Voltage Interruption
U1410 00 [008] - -
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 21
Mileage: 97426 km
Date: 2017.03.30
Time: 15:42:52

valid

Welcome to the forum Logan :) 

as you rightly point out the steering assist could be because the battery has run flat. However the recall can also make the engine rougher from other members experiences. If you have a look under the recalls section you'll get a wide range of knowledge there. I'm assuming it's a 2 litre model? And is it manual or auto? 

As with any car really check the service history and ideally it should be full.

What's the mileage on it? The reason why I ask is because is the cambelt/water pump due for replacement or has it been done?

and how does the clutch feel (if it's manual)? It shouldn't feel heavy in my opinion.  

Also check for any whistles from the turbo as this can be a sign the turbo is on its way out. Or it could just be the turbo pipes leaking but well worth checking. 

Also ask the seller if he would allow an AA or RAC inspection to be carried out. If he is reluctant or refuses then you have to ask why? In that case I would walk away. 

I hope iv helped 

chers

steve 

• Like 1

its at a dealer which is also giving me 6 months warranty.

the car is a 175bhp 2.0 TDI manual. 61k miles FSH last service done by Just Audi VW independent.

after reading the emission recal thread I might not buy it. its really peed me off. is there no way to reverse this !Removed! up? I'm an IT tech and a flash rom is a flash rom at the end of the day. should be just a case of loading it with the old firmware.

Not bad mileage so should be in good condition :) 

yep, your best bet is getting it remapped. That way you wipe the emissions software update off the ecu and you gain more power ;) 

I was wondering about this, but the car is cleaning me out to buy it so wont have spare cash for remaping. plus I don't want the insurance going through the roof, plus it might affect the clutch and or head gasket due to higher boost pressure.

I don't understand why tuners cant copy the original map from a pre-updated car and flash that, thus reversing the fix. to be honest I don't know why VW is being so !Removed! minded about telling people they cant have the old map, that's just BS.

Hmm, I think tuners should be able to remap it to how it was from the factory. In terms of the emissions update. It will depend if the car your looking at just had the software update or had to have the edition physical parts added such as the dampers and reducers. If it's had these then they would need removing also. The invoice should tell you what it's had done for the emissions update. 

Vag won't put it back to how it was as it could be seen as them still trying to cheat Emissions if that makes sense. 

Cheers

steve 

4 minutes ago, cypher007 said:

I thought the 175bhp 2.0 engines just had maps and the 1.6 had the other stuff added.

On the whole yes. But there may be slight variations depending on build year etc. Your best bet would be to speak to Audi to see what it's had done. As they keep it on record. 

think I might just contact the dealer and get my deposit back.

these cars sound like a money pit.

now I know why weve kept out old mechanical 1.9tdi's so long.

think the car manufacturers are going to have to come up with something other than a an unusable car if driven on short journeys.

this whole experience has gone from one of excitement to pit of the stomach realisation that they don't work properly any more.

god knows what I'm going to buy now.

thanks Steve for the info and help. I just don't think I can spend £12k on a car that's has been ruined by an update.

Glad I could help :) 

sorry if iv put you off the brand :/ 

to be fair the old 1.9tdi and 2.5tdi were awesome and I don't think they'll be beaten on reliability. 

As I say if you give them a good run once a week you'll be fine. I personally feel the vag 3.0tdi is better than the 2.0tdi but its personal preference. 

For me it's all about the service history. If it looks well maintained in the history you should be fine :) 

to be fair the a5 does drive beautifully :) it's just better I arm you with info then you going in and buying one blind.

and with regard to the engines it's not really Audis fault they've had to fit dpf and egr to the engines. We can thank politicians for that! For the emissions rules and regulations. 

cheers

steve 

going to have a look at a SEAT Toledo 1.2 petrol I think.

£10k and nearly new.

the A5 was awesome and ive been wanting one for over a year, but I just cant bring myself to buy a car that will probably need mapping and the dpf knocking out. knowing my luck the GOV would then bring in a law requiring the dpf is checked for function.

That's cool. The thing with seats is that you still get the vag build quality without the premium of paying for the badge of an Audi or Volkswagen. 

The government are thinking of bringing those rules in to effect with regard checking the functionality of the dpf in the MOT. 

Why don't you look at other Audi models? I always wanted an a6 c6 :) 

cheers

steve

on a side note I posted about my worries on several other Audi forums. but this is one of the only ones that I got a reply on.

are Audi owners so busy working they don't have time for forums? ;)

15 minutes ago, cypher007 said:

on a side note I posted about my worries on several other Audi forums. but this is one of the only ones that I got a reply on.

are Audi owners so busy working they don't have time for forums? ;)

We pride ourselves on being a friendly and approachable club :) 

sorry you didn't get a response from other clubs. 

But to be fair it can be tricky getting thenaudi community to communicate and engage with one another. However I feel on here we all are reading off the same page and are respectful and helpful towards one another :) 

I'm glad you've had a positive experience on here even if the outcome has prevented you from getting an a5.

Btw did you see the a5 on eBay at the minute with the awesome body kit? It's a white 2.0tdi with high miles and has an s5 badge on the back? 

It did look lovely :) 

cheers

steve

Hello Logan,

It sounds as if you made the right decision - for you - by not buying that particular A5. I too follow Steve's good advice re service history etc., and for an independent check if you are spending that sort of money. One thing I would add with any used vehicle purchase is to contact the last registered owner, since thereby hangs the true story behind service history. Steve may well be getting bored by now with this comment from me!! You can have service history up to the hilt, but it does not protect the vehicle from haviing a history of issues. 

Seat? I agree with Steve on the good value for money. Skoda - the same. You just have to look at what the taxi drivers are using in our area.

One word of caution with a basic little Seat - who has owned it? Small cars are very popular as courtesy cars and even day hire, so beware of one owner and one hundred drivers! Might be registered to VAG which is a bit of a dead end trail to find anything. Hire cars- look for Alphabet as an owner, who I'm pretty sure are Hertz. Of course, this is only one of many, but worth doing your homework. I think at 6 months old you can forget about the favourite history of ex demonstrator - too old I would think. Mileage just under 10k sometimes points to end-of-hire period mileage restriction. 

Hope some of this helps, 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

2 hours ago, cypher007 said:

update:

ordered a brand new Toledo 1.0 3 cylinder 110PS. excellence. £12k.

Glad you got sorted :) 

sorry it's not an Audi though, but I quite understand :) 

atleast with a brand new car you shouldn't have to worry about faults! But if you do get one it'll be under warranty ;) 

cheers

steve