What is this?

KenKnott

Hi

I've joined this forum in the hope that someone will be able to help my son who drives an R reg Audi 1.8T Petrol.
The attached photo shows something dangling underneath his car!
Can anyone tell me what it is and what is to be done about it?
Is the car safe to drive?
Many thanks to anyone who can help.

IMG_1821.JPG

Welcome to the forum ken :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

it looks to me to be a sensor of some sort. Is the car driving fine? In failing that does the a3 have fog lamps and if so are they both working? 

Iv moved this to the a3 section by the way. 

Cheers

steve

• Like 1

Hello Ken,

I'm with Steve on this, and favour the possibility that this is a "broken off" plug for something like a fog or spot light if fitted. It would be worth checking that all the lights are working. Other possibly is that it's a dislodged horn connector. Should be two horns? - and perhaps only one working, 

I think it's great you are encouraging you son to take a responsible attitude to his motoring, and introducing good thoughts of whether it is safe to drive or not. On that topic I would say it's always difficult to judge things at a distance with forum replies, so if there is any doubt on a car being safe to drive it should always be checked out for assurance at a local garage as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hi Ken....welcome to the Forum

As niedzial1983 has stated, it is the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor and just needs to be clipped back into the bumper but will still work where it is hanging down.

Cheers,  Trevor

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for your help.  Definitely the air temperature sensor and it will be clipped back in place at the weekend.  

I think I had better remain a member in case we get any other issues with this car!

Your assistance was much appreciated.

Ken

8 hours ago, KenKnott said:

Thank you all very much for your help.  Definitely the air temperature sensor and it will be clipped back in place at the weekend.  

I think I had better remain a member in case we get any other issues with this car!

Your assistance was much appreciated.

Ken

Your most welcome Ken :) 

we all try and help out the best we can. 

By the way we are having a club display at Audis in the park on Sunday 13th August at Deenes park in Northampton. You and  Your son are more than welcome to bring the a3 along and display it on our club stand :) 

have a look under the meets section for more info and let me know if you'd be interested :) 

cheers

steve