Banham TT replica

As the title says, I thought I'd share info on a kit car called the Banham x99 and x21 which looks like a mk1 Audi TT! 

However the Banham x99 and x21 were based on the Audi TT concept car and as such were released prior to the genuine Audi TT. 

As you would imagine the VAG group were not best pleased that their designs had been copied however the kit was offered for a few years. 

The Banham x99 and x21 used Rover Metro running gear including the chassis. The build required the builder to remove the Rover Metro body from the chassis and bulkhead. The fibreglass body was then bonded to the to the chassis and bulkhead to give it strength. 

Heres further info on Banham from Wikipedia: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banham_Conversions

and check out the images to see the similarities. 

Cheers

steve

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

IMG_4905.GIF

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

8 hours ago, Paul A6 said:

They look like a battery car i could pick up for my son, are the really small looking?

Hey Paul, they are small as the rover metro was a small car and the fact the engine isn't in the middle, makes the boot and rear of the car smaller. Not as wide as well! 

• 4 years later...
On 8/15/2017 at 8:08 PM, Steve Q said:

As the title says, I thought I'd share info on a kit car called the Banham x99 and x21 which looks like a mk1 Audi TT! 

However the Banham x99 and x21 were based on the Audi TT concept car and as such were released prior to the genuine Audi TT. 

As you would imagine the VAG group were not best pleased that their designs had been copied however the kit was offered for a few years. 

The Banham x99 and x21 used Rover Metro running gear including the chassis. The build required the builder to remove the Rover Metro body from the chassis and bulkhead. The fibreglass body was then bonded to the to the chassis and bulkhead to give it strength. 

Heres further info on Banham from Wikipedia: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banham_Conversions

and check out the images to see the similarities. 

Cheers

steve

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

IMG_4905.GIF

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

I've just got my hands on the yellow one with the genuine TT roof,front and back lights and original Audi wheels,it actually looks very good was well impressed!! Cheers Stephen 

2 hours ago, Stocky1807 said:

I've just got my hands on the yellow one with the genuine TT roof,front and back lights and original Audi wheels,it actually looks very good was well impressed!! Cheers Stephen 

Oh wow! Would love to see up to date pics of it. You should bring it to the Audi shows. Would love to see it on our club display! 

Where was it for sale? 

I will get some up to date pics and upload them for you,needs a few things doing to get it through the MOT first before I can get it out and about,I bought it off eBay just thought it was different and a bit of a collector's item,I didn't know anything about it till I started researching then came across your explanation on here and I was truly amazed but it seems like a cracking little motor and looks a lot different to the other ones I've seen done

4 hours ago, Stocky1807 said:

I've just got my hands on the yellow one 

The first yellow one or the second yellow one ?

22 hours ago, Stocky1807 said:

I will get some up to date pics and upload them for you,needs a few things doing to get it through the MOT first before I can get it out and about,I bought it off eBay just thought it was different and a bit of a collector's item,I didn't know anything about it till I started researching then came across your explanation on here and I was truly amazed but it seems like a cracking little motor and looks a lot different to the other ones I've seen done

Oh wow, I missed seeing that on eBay. It caused quite a stir back in the day as it was so close to looking like a TT. I'm sure it was featured in kitcar mags too. 

The owner of Banham got taken to court by Audi over the design. 

9 hours ago, Stocky1807 said:

Yes it does look very much like the TT,it's amazing to find out these things,what happened to the owner then did he get done for it

The company owner, can't remember the outcome it was around 20 years ago at least. 

Looks good! Just checked on eBay at sold items, you certainly got a bargain! 

On 8/15/2017 at 8:08 PM, Steve Q said:

Hi Steve,that's great news hope I have managed to bag a bargain, earlier in the post a guy called Roy was asking me if it was the 1st or 2nd one,could you shed any light on this as he just stopped replying to me for some reason ha,I'm so intrigued to find out more about what I have bought

1 hour ago, Stocky1807 said:

Hi Steve,that's great news hope I have managed to bag a bargain, earlier in the post a guy called Roy was asking me if it was the 1st or 2nd one,could you shed any light on this as he just stopped replying to me for some reason ha,I'm so intrigued to find out more about what I have bought

Hi,

When I said Ist or 2nd one I was refering to the pictures that you posted.

There are two yellow cars in those pictures and I was asking which one it was.

Sorry for any confusion.

This is the other one.

IMG_4907.thumb.JPG.34f9d2309f73b62a399c6dc736eb8751.jpg

From looking at Wikipedia the Banham X3?21 was launched after VAG took legal action against Banham over the x99. In theory the x21 was supposed to look less like an Audi TT. However the builder of your car has gone the whole hog to do the opposite 😉

Just now, Stocky1807 said:

£167 a year insurance as well for a meTTro 🤣🤣

That's cheap! Loving the name for it 🤣 keep us posted on the progress. What plans have you got for it?