skull duggery

DUNLOP MAXX GT Tyres - splitting

Not for me to recommend - but for someone in authority who runs this forum? 

Is it time to recommend ( not a strong enough word) that anyone who has a vehicle fitted with these tyres gets them professionally checked at a tyre retailer without delay? 

Surely this has been going on long enough, and in sufficient reported frequencies, to deduce there is something significantly and dangerously wrong here - to an extent where this is life threatening. 

Not to do so would be remiss (again not a strong enough word). 

Kind regards,

Gareth.  

Hi,

Same problem with my 4 tyres Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 275 30 R21 (2x DOT 0217 and 2x DOT 5216) 

Dunlop2.jpg

Dunlop3.jpg

Dunlop6.jpg

6 hours ago, NoFEARfreak said:

Hi,

Same problem with my 4 tyres Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 275 30 R21 (2x DOT 0217 and 2x DOT 5216) 

Dunlop2.jpg

Dunlop3.jpg

Dunlop6.jpg

Now that is really bad. 

I send the tires to the importer and after 3 weeks received this answer:

The tire is advertised outside the warranty period. It has pronounced double-sided wear on the shoulders. Uneven wear and mechanical damage is not the result of a defect in the manufacturing process, but of the conditions in use. The complaint is not approved.

1 hour ago, NoFEARfreak said:

I send the tires to the importer and after 3 weeks received this answer:

That's not good! Might be worth making them aware of this thread. Might help shows its a well.known issue. 

Cheers

Steve

Six pages of posts and almost 3 years on, and still issues with these tyres, but remarkably no one dead or seriously injured yet? -well that we know of. 

Personally, I’m surprised that the administration of this forum hasn’t yet commented on why the forum hasn’t initiated  pursuing  this with the manufacturers. Surely with the collective evidence they have been made aware of, they are in a better position than most to initiate collective inroads, than a series of individuals acting on their own. Isn’t not to do so, rather remiss? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Six pages of posts and almost 3 years on, and still issues with these tyres, but remarkably no one dead or seriously injured yet? -well that we know of. 

Personally, I’m surprised that the administration of this forum hasn’t yet commented on why the forum hasn’t initiated  pursuing  this with the manufacturers. Surely with the collective evidence they have been made aware of, they are in a better position than most to initiate collective inroads, than a series of individuals acting on their own. Isn’t not to do so, rather remiss? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, going to get Trevor to answer that one. 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. Apologies Trevor! 

If forums such as this are not platforms to communally move progress on repeated (safety) issues, then surely this must come under the heading of ‘.....could do better.......’. 

Whatever, I feel it might be too late coming to the party! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, Steve.

Unfortunately, we as a club don't have any influence with tyre manufacturers, let alone vehicle manufacturers and as such pretty much zero authority in a case of warranty or product recall.
The posts obviously highlight a trend with poor quality tyres (although having said that I run Dunlop tyres on my motorbike and my BMW Z3 and have no issues whatsoever over the years and trust the grip implicitly). Although I have seen this on a few different occasions and each were on different tyre brands (Metzeler comes to mind where the whole casing split around the sidewall but this was definitely down to age and inactivity).

However, there are bad batches of tyres that come through into the market, Pirelli had an issue with their P4 tyre which actually stripped the whole tread from the casing where it wasn't bonded properly. The most worrying trend is Chinese manufactured tyres ("ditch-finders" as they are affectionately known) being actively sold through major tyre retailers and these are lethal, having zero grip, going out of shape, and extremely noisy. 

In the case of the Dunlop tyres splitting, I could only recommend the check the condition and manufacture date and take it directly to the tyre companies that supplied them (if fitted since new) or if occurring on an new Audi then to take it back to the supplying dealership.
Again, it is worth checking the country of manufacture and any batch numbers to see if there is any common theme here.

If we can categorically find a recurring theme then it would be worth collating the information to forward to the relevant tyre manufacturer to raise awareness of the issue. 

Hi All.

I'm in exactly the same scenario on my RS7. I've had quite the scare with a blow out at high speed and one at approximately 40 mph... Not a nice experience and tbh, totally unacceptable. Further to that, I checked the rear tyres and they were also demonstrating the exact same failure to the front!

This is a failure of the tyre and one which is clearly a common one... 

So far, I have raised the issue directly with goodyear. The tyres have been sent back and awaiting their response.

However, this is clearly a safety issue and one that has not been rectified over time. I can see owners raising this issue from 2013 up to 2019. 

The only reason I came by across this thread is in relation to doing some research to take them on with this issue. I was saddened to read about a clear failure in design happening to so many people.To date - All 4 tyres have failed with the exact same issue - Scary!

1293198963_Screenshot_20200508-180709_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.1852d13dfe3e39a6de9978326038a785.jpg

Screenshot_20200508-180647_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20200508-180824_Video Player.jpg

Thanks Ross, 

I’m sure the forum and others will be very interested in the ongoings and outcome of your very valid ‘taking them on’ intention. 

Perhaps you could keep the forum up to date on how you get on, since clearly, someone needs to get some positive outcome from this. Too long overdue. 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth,