Servicing ?

Patrico777

Hi

Just had my car serviced by the showroom where I bought the car from computer shows like 18k miles until oil need changinf I think that is way to much I always changed my oil on all cars before 10k like 7-8k ?  Should I wait until car shows it needs new oil ? Or should I change more regurarly I do around 12k miles a year

Hello Patrick again,

As I recall, you bought this car from a car sales lot, in which case it would not be uncommon for the oil used to be of "best deal volume purchase' brand. Is it the correct specification leave along the 'normal' VAG Longlife fully synthetic oil which can be used for say up to 18K  miles?  As a matter of interest,  have a look at the oil filter and see what make it is and let us know. The make of this filter may decide what action you take, since it will give you a marker for the likely quality of the oil they used. 

If they have used the correct specification  Longlife  oil then you can extend the oil change to around 18K, but it might be advantageous to change it one a year or 12k miles whichever comes first anyway. 

Do you do your oil and filter changes? 

Let us have the answers to the above questions and no doubt we can offer some advice from here.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

9 hours ago, Steve Q said:

I wouldn't be too worried to be honest. Most VAG cars now use long life oil in which case it's every 20k miles or once a year which ever comes first :) 

Cheers

Steve 

I guess I will make these 12k and change it whats the best oil to uuse ?

VAG were/are using  Quantum branded oil. There is a Longlife 3 and a 'normal' mileage change equivalent. 

I always use their Longlife 3 even though I change it annually at a fairly low mileage. Not worth the very marginal saving, to do otherwise.

You will need to check which grade to use, but it is generally 5w/30( fully synthetic) - but please check as I said. 

Quantum is available via. the on line auction site - generally being sold by VAG dealers. 

Filters:- I only use main dealer filters (often available at discounts) or Mann. Again just not worth buying simply on price.

What make filter have they fitted to yours? 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

p,s. You will need to get your service indicator reset once you change your oil. 

10 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

I guess I will make these 12k and change it whats the best oil to uuse ?

Audi recommend Castrol edge professional long life 3 5w 30

Here is the link on the Audi website:

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/audi-oil.html

Also Gareth's advice is very sensible :) 

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1