Something worrying has happened to my front wheels

jammycodger

I've been away for a couple of weeks and returned to a couple of things - a flat battery and a really worrying issue with my front wheels. Any idea on what on earth could have happened?

Here's the passenger side front wheel - turned slightly into the curb (I didn't park it this way).

IMG_4805.JPG

And here's the driver side tyre - at a completely different angle.

The arch appears to have been damaged somehow and when I look under the arch at the top, I see part of the axle has popped out (I know very little about cars, apologies!)

There is no sign of damage anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened here - and if this is going to be disastrously expensive as I'm imagining.

IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

Oh no! 

I have a couple of questions.

1. Has your car got an electronic handbrake?

2. Has the car ever had a new battery? If not i suspect the battery has come to the end of it's operational life. 

As Piotr has said you do need to consider the possibility that someone has either crashed into your car or someone has tried to steal it by towing it. 

You may need the lower suspension arms re attaching or replacing from the looks of it. 

Does the car look.likr it's moved from where you parked it? 

Cheers

Steve 

Did anyone have access to the keys whilst you were away? if someone had hit your car hard enough to move the wheels i would expect more body or alloy damage

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

Oh no! 

I have a couple of questions.

1. Has your car got an electronic handbrake?

Very interesting point - it's a 2007 A6 - would it have?

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

2. Has the car ever had a new battery? If not i suspect the battery has come to the end of it's operational life. 

I've ordered a new battery as it's gone flat from a jumpstart - that's on its way now

35 minutes ago, Paul A6 said:

Did anyone have access to the keys whilst you were away? if someone had hit your car hard enough to move the wheels i would expect more body or alloy damage

No one has keys and there's no damage at all - even if they somehow hit the wheel I can't see how it wouldn't scratch or damage anywhere else on the car etc

Could you give me a picture of your central console (gear stick area). I wonder if the battery has died this allowing the electronic handbrake to disengage then allowed the car to roll. I'm assuming you didn't leave it in gear? 

Good to see you've already ordered a battery. 

Cheers

Steve 

4 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Could you give me a picture of your central console (gear stick area). I wonder if the battery has died this allowing the electronic handbrake to disengage then allowed the car to roll. I'm assuming you didn't leave it in gear? 

Good to see you've already ordered a battery. 

Cheers

Steve 

I dont think this would relise the breaks. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Kieran,

With regard to the suspension issue, it may be worth while inspecting the large coil spring to see if it has snapped - as they do! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks - what part would you say that was in the picture? Would that suggest possible large coil spring has snapped?

• 1 month later...

Did you get to the bottom of this ?

On 09/10/2017 at 2:00 PM, jammycodger said:

I've been away for a couple of weeks and returned to a couple of things - a flat battery and a really worrying issue with my front wheels. Any idea on what on earth could have happened?

Here's the passenger side front wheel - turned slightly into the curb (I didn't park it this way).

IMG_4805.JPG